Sign in to follow this  
Rueben Moriarty

Provincial Thanksgiving Service

My proposer has asked me if I would like to attend the Surrey Provincial Thanksgiving ceremony at Guildford Cathedral in October.

He's told me it's a great occasion and I will be able to wear my EA apron on the day as it's one of the few occasion we can wear our regalia in publlic.
Should be a good day from what I've been told.

Are any other forum members attending? Also what usually happens?

Its' an ordinary thanksgiving service but non-denominational. You and your ladies find seats where you can and the great and the gold-braided will probably process in with the clergy and choir. There may also be heads of non-Craft orders present in the regalia of those other orders. Sheets for the order of service will almost certainly be provided.

So pretty much as it says on the tin then, just a church service. Ok thanks.:)

I think I've been told that our lodge banner (is that right?) is being paraded at the service.

If anyone else from the forum is attending they should let me know, I'll be clueless guy in the white apron looking confused hahaha:D

I don't know too much sadly as I'm pretty wet behind the ears still, so to speak and was only invited a few days ago. But I will ask all the questions I've posted here and need to know at next weeks LOI meeting.

But the only info I can find online is below :)

http://www.surreymason.org.uk/events

http://www.guildford-cathedral.org/worship/services/wb-2010-10-17

Rueben Moriarty (23/09/2010)
So pretty much as it says on the tin then, just a church service. Ok thanks.:)

I think I've been told that our lodge banner (is that right?) is being paraded at the service.

If anyone else from the forum is attending they should let me know, I'll be clueless guy in the white apron looking confused hahaha:D

I speak with experience of the Middlesex Thanksgiving Service, at Guildford again this year, in November (we don't have a cathedral in Middlesex).

First of all, it's not "just a church service". The Queen's Coronation in Westminster Abbey wasn't "just a church service", and though admittedly your Masonic one won't be quite as grand as HM's do in 1953, it will be a magnificent thing to be a part of, Masonically.

It is definitely non-denominational: with us, the prayers are led by a Rabbi, and a Sikh takes the photos. There will be a big procession of the newer banners in the Province, one probably carried by your own WM.

But don't look "clueless" in your white apron, because one of the newest EAs goes at the front of the procession, and if you haven't been briefed to be that one, make sure you stay out of the way!

Oh, have a look at these pictures (I'm in No 9090 in "Arrivals"):

http://www.middlesexfreemasons.org.uk/events/stalbansshow1/index.htm

Roy

Thank you for the advice and the link. Your right it does look very impresive and I'm sure it won't be "just another service" and I am very much looking forward to the event. I just showed my girlfriend the pictures from the link you posted. Just like any other lady she is now starting to think about her outfit hahaha. But her Godparents (my seconder) will be there with us so I'm sure I'll be in safe hands and everything will be explained. As I've previously said our lodge banner will be on display and that's an honour I am told.

And again thank you for the link :)

Dear Bro Roy

It would seem that there's two Masonic Thanksgiving Services this year. One on the 17th of October (Surrey) and your own on the 7th of November (Middlesex). Thanks for the link to the pictures, it does look like an event not to miss.

As you have been there before, will you be so kind to confirm whom may attend and more details regarding Lodge representation. Will the banners on display be of Surrey or Middlesex only?

I have a few interested Masonic friends

Thanks

AVT

Just thought I'd give a quick update as I attended the "Provincial Grand Lodge of Surrey" Annuel Thanksgiving Service today.

It was a good turn out (they even ran out of programmes). There was a see of dark blue and gold, sprinkled with a large portion of red and white. I only saw one other white apron so I felt abit of a novelty hahaha.

I was actually introduced to the Provincial Grand Master Eric Stuart-Bamford, by one of my proposers so that was really nice. He asked me how I was getting on and wished me luck for the future.

It was nice to see everyone dressed up, it's a shame it doesn't really get to happen much. Anyway ladies weekend next week! :)

Rueben Moriarty (17/10/2010)
There was a see of dark blue and gold,

Yeah, I know it's a typo, but what else do you expect at a Cathedral.:D

Congrats on meeting the PGM. He should take heart that newer bods are coming along, though it's a pity you were conspicuous by the scarceness of those also Initiated recently.

Hi Ruaben and Roy V

Ruaben, I also went along and was looking out for you,but saw that the banners were carried by more senior Brethren. I actually only saw one EA and it was an elderly Gentlemen proudly wearing his apron. I took my wife and a friend from work along and they both enjoyed it very much, I was again proud to be a Mason.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I believe the next Thanksgiving service at Guildford to be on 07/11/2010 hosted by Middlesex. I wonder if these are the only two Provinces with Thanksgiving services? I was asked this afterwards as it would seem that I was the only one there with a Berkshire tie.

AVT

My report from yesterday's Middlesex Thanksgiving:

Yet again, a most uplifting and fantastic experience. The rehearsals start during the morning, and to see the new banners being paraded and stowed by the altar by two Stewards* and then those two descend the steps back to the main floor proved how well the rehearsals paid off. Ever seen the Coldstream Guards? Pah! Nothing like a couple of Provincial Officers doing their bit!

Our PGM, Prince Michael of Kent, read the text of Corinthians 13, and the Address was by Bro Padre Mark Christian, formerly Task force Senior Chaplain in Helmand.

The only thing which marred it for me was noticing several Dark Blues around me reading from the service booklet when we all sang the Opening and Closing Odes. What is it with these guys? Don't they attend many Lodge meetings, or did they only come out because PMK was there??

* The brethren doing this brilliant descent (several yards apart) may have been ProvADCs, but by my own omission, I didn't order tickets, so was up in the gallery at the back of the cathedral: great for a view of the whole event, and the beautiful vaulting of the building, but not so good for identifying the aprons worn up at the altar! However, my wife and I took a lady from a local church with us who was highly impressed by the service.

So, doesn't every Province have such an annual service?

AVT I only saw one other EA on the day too and he was older than me. But I was hanging around out the front of the cathedral with my Brothers from the lodge taking pictures for awhile.

Roy I happened to be in Cole Court today the Masonic Hall in Twickenham asking about parking. It's a shame because if I was in the Middlesex province instead of Surrey I could park there for £10, instead they asked for much more hahaha. I popped in on my lunch break. The old boys must have thought I'd turned up for a meeting wearing my black suit (that I use for my meetings) dark tie and lap top bag (which looked like a soft padded regalia bag) lol:)

Brethren, have you ever wondered who else reads this forum?

Today I was at a Seminar for DCs, ADCs and Preceptors in Middlesex. The incoming Prov Grand DC gave a talk in which he emphasised the amount of practice which goes into putting on a performance such as at the Provincial Thanksgiving Service. He mentioned that the hard work last year must have been successful, because "someone" had posted about it on the internet at the time: meaning my Post #25082 above.

Fortunately, it was one of appreciation - just be careful folks, they are watching!

Just thought I'd mention that The Province of Surrey are having this years Provincial Cathedral Thanksgiving Service this coming Sunday (25/09/2011).

I will be attending again and am very much looking forward to it. Is anyone else planning on attending from this site?

http://www.surreymason.org.uk/events/province/provincial-cathedral-service

It's that time of the year again! The Province of Middlesex will be holding its annual Thanksgiving service at Guildford Cathedral tomorrow afternoon - and another great occasion it promises to be. It starts at 3pm - doors open at 2.15 - those bearing Standards and Lodge Banners will have been there a lot earlier to practise their processing. I always like to think that our service eclipses more minor events of pageantry such as Royal Weddings etc, but of course it is a serious engagement with God (otherwise known as the Supreme Being).