Sign in to follow this  
john dee

GLNF has Problems with its Grand Master

It looks as if the GLNF may be about to be de-recognised by the UGLE, if it confirms that its Grand Master is in fact dabbling in the Political scene of France in his capacity as Grand Master. It is all very Grand Orientish!

Although the letter does allow the benefit of the doubt, as it first inquires as to whether the alleged letter from the French Grand Master to Sarkozy is in fact genuine, as Stifani has denied either writing or authorising the letter.

john dee (13/01/2011)
It appears that a serious problem has developed in France that has resulted in the UGLE sending a strongly worded letter about certain actions possibly taken by the GM of the GLNF - http://blogs.lexpress.fr/lumiere-franc-macon/2011/01/11/document-exclusif-le-courrier-du-grand-chancelier-de-la-glua-qui-menace-les-grands-maitres-de-la-glnf/

Could not possible comment as 'O' level French in 1977 was not up to the translation!

There are a lot of problems with the Grand Master of France and a sort of rebelion amongst many of its members and provinces. (Not least some of its Past GM). It all started to get heated with the purchase of a flat in the centre of Paris for around €2m for the "entertainment of foreign dignitaries" - and paid for out of masonic funds but not declared. Then you have the GM stating that he was the "link between God and Man" The missing money that may have gone to Sarkozy's party - The GM was head of Le Droit Humain and Sarkozy is/was and the pair are said to be 'friends'! Then there was court orders to look at the accounts of GL - and some €10m cannot be accounted for, but I think at the last count some €7m could be accounting errors! Then there are the various articles in general magazines, and especially l'express which could bring freemasonry as we know it, into ridicule. Oh and the small matter that he declared himself GM for another 5years without what we would call a proper ballot.

This is a copy of a letter i received yesterday - I cannot comment on its authenticity - but it did come to me from a reliable source. Also see this link

Cher Frère et Grand Secrétaire,

Notre attention a été attirée par le dernier numéro du magazine « l’Express » publiant une lettre qui serait apparemment écrite par votre Grand Maître à l’attention du Président de la République Française.

La lettre, si tant est qu’elle ne soit pas un faux, enfreints clairement une des règles principales de la Franc-maçonnerie selon laquelle – Tout individu agissant en sa qualité de Franc-maçon ne doit faire de commentaires sur des mesures d’état, des mesures sociales ou autres, qui pourraient dépeindre l’individu en question ou sa Grande Loge comme s’alliant à un parti politique ou faction.

J’ai été choisi pour déterminer si votre lettre a bien été écrite par votre Grand Maître et, dans le cas où elle ne l’était pas, quelles actions votre Grand Maître allait prendre à l’encontre du magazine.

Si la lettre était authentique, cela pourrait sérieusement compromettre les relations amicales qui ont toujours existées entre La Grande Loge Unifiée d’Angleterre et les Grands Maîtres de votre loge.

J’attends de lire votre réponse avec beaucoup d’anticipation.

Fraternellement vôtre,

Alan Englefield,

Grand Chancelier

I wonder how long it will be before we see a new GL formed in France that will become the new recognised GL by UGLE. Remember a few years ago a similar thing happened in Italy and the new GL in that country was soon recognised by UGLE as the official one. However, the USA did not de-recognise the original GL in Italy and as far as I know is not in amity with the new recognised GL. Many foreign GLs do not follow what the UGLE subsequently determines who to recognise in these countries in Europe that are determined to be a problem by GQS.

For those who wish to see it this link contains a scan of the letter from the GC of UGLE to GLNF

http://blogs.lexpress.fr/lumiere-franc-macon/wp-content/blogs.dir/693/files/2011/01/GLUA-a-GLNF-09.12.2010.jpg

There is a possibility that at the Extraordinary General Meeting of the GLNF, due to take place soon as the result of the recent Paris Appeal's Court order, the current Grand Master François Stifani will be voted out of office and that a new Grand Master will be elected. Several candidates have already come forward. In the mean time continued pressure is being exercised, internally and externally, in order to convince GM Stifani to resign voluntarily, in order to defuse the tension and reduce the danger of implosion of the GLNF.

GLNF: Surprise Resignation of the Board of Directors

January 21, 2011
by Francois Koch

In a press release, the administration [la direction] of the GLNF (National Grand Lodge of France) announces the resignation of the attending members of the Board of Directors [Consiel d'Administration] (CA).

This surprising announcement is officially explained by two reasons: 1. To avoid the members of the CA finding themselves in conflict with the Constitutions of the Order; 2. To ensure the organization of the future General Assembly under good conditions.

[There is a link to the press release, in French, at the above URL).

This information has been running about for several days in the corridors of the headquarters of the GLNF [Pisan]. The rumors gave the following explanation: the administration did not really believe in the success of its new motion before the Court of Appeals to obtain the appointment of an administrator [mandataire de justice] and Francois Stifani therefore wanted to create a new situation to gain success before the court. The rumors state that the Grand Master does not want to hold the General Assembly, so he will not be on the front lines, in order not to be under more fire from critics.

No matter what the official press release says, this seems like another attempt to evade the execution of the court decision of December 7, 2010, which ordered the administration of the GLNF to immediately convene a new General Assembly. To gain time seems to be the main concern. And time to play the Grand Master. For now.

Just to clarify a bit more the latest post, so that it becomes a bit clearer.

As posted by john dee (Post #26741), on the 21st of January the Board of Directors of the GLNF resigned (the reasons are not important for my post). This includes also the President (internally known as a GM).

It would appear that (from the french blog) that the current GM, while resigning as President of the association of the GLNF (a lodge and by extension the GL in France is viewed from a civil law point of view as an association of individuals having a common interest) wished to be still considered as a GM, and that it was possible for the GLNF to have to "2" heads. The GM as head of the obedience of the GLNF (from a masonic point of view) and another brother being the head of the association. Something that is not allowed by the constitution of the GLNF.

In effect, in December the GLNF was ordered by the courts to convene a general meeting for removing the then President of the GLNF. What happened now is that since the 21st of January, a faction of brothers of the GLNF who are against Stifani, went to the same court that issued the order in December and based on the Boards resignation persuaded the court to appoint a caretaker head of the GLNF. His duties are to be caretaker of the GLNF until a General meeting is convened to designate a new president. (The original December order for convene a general meeting for removing the then President being void as the President resigned with his Board).

From looking at these facts, it would appear to me that at this moment in time the GLNF has no GM, as the court makes no distinction between the two positions (President of an association from a civil law point of view and GM from a masonic point of view). In the court's view they are one and the same.

I imagine that getting an apron with gold braid sewn on it can get to peoples heads sometimes (if all the stories are true).

The french will never cease to surprise us:).

Since this topic began, things appear to have gotten worse rather than better. This now affects members of Lodges under the UGLE to the extant that all members will receive notification of an announcement made at Quarterly Communication last week:

Here is the text of the announcement by the President of the Board of General Purposes made at Quarterly Communication on 8th June 2011.

"MW Pro Grand Master and Brethren, the Board has been monitoring with grave concern the present turbulence within the Grande Loge Nationale Française, including the appointment of an Administrative Receiver over its legal entity.

It is not for this Grand Lodge to interfere in the affairs of another Grand Lodge with which it is in amity, particularly one where we have enjoyed such a very long and friendly association. We cannot, however, overlook the significant adverse effect which what is happening in France may have on the reputation of Freemasonry generally.

Whatever may be the reasons for the discord it is obvious that there are opposing factions who are deliberately adding to it. The current Grand Master has now written to the Pro Grand Master advising that he will be giving up his Mandate on the 27th of this month. We hope that the election that follows will end the discontent, and that harmony will be restored.

The Board will continue to monitor the situation closely and if it continues to deteriorate it will not hesitate to recommend at a future Quarterly Communication of Grand Lodge that steps are taken which will adversely affect recognition of the Grande Loge Nationale Française.

In the meantime, while not restricting visitation from our French Brethren to our own Lodges the Board considers that our Brethren must refrain from visiting Lodges in France in order not to get involved in the dispute."

As of 20th July

Stifani has just suspended his recognition to UGLE.....!

in a recent letter of 3 pages and is quite incoherent.... even to a Frenchman
It appears that situation is quite impossible to resolve. He can stay, with the lawsuits
he manages , one after one, for years.

Grand Master Mason of Scotland says:

STATEMENT BY THE GRAND MASTER MASON REGARDING THE GRANDE LOGE
NATIONALE FRANCAISE
The Grand Lodge of Scotland has noted with increasing concern the continued disharmony
within the Grand Loge Nationale Francaise which has seen internal disputes develop into legal
actions, including the French Courts having now appointed an Administrative Receiver over the
legal entity of the Grand Loge Nationale Francaise.
Whilst the Grand Lodge of Scotland has no wish to interfere in the internal affairs of another
Grand Lodge the public schism within the Grand Loge Nationale Francaise and the manner in
which it is being reported in the media is against the basic tenets of the Craft and is adversely
contaminating the reputation of other Grand Lodges.
A meeting of the Grand Loge Nationale Francaise scheduled for 27th June 2011, at which it
was hoped a resolution to the present situation could have began, was cancelled and there is
no indication that harmony will be restored in the near future.
The continuing state of affairs in the Grand Loge Nationale Francaise is liable to damage the
International status of Freemasonry and it is therefore necessary that the reputation of the
Grand Lodge of Scotland be protected.
Accordingly, with the specific authority granted to me by the Grand Lodge of Scotland, with
immediate effect I regretfully suspend recognition of the Grand Loge Nationale Francaise by the
Grand Lodge of Scotland.

Hi all,

just to clarify Tyler's post, I have attached a copy of the letter sent to UGLE, indicating that relations from the side of the GLNF towards UGLE are "temporarily" suspended.

I hope you can still remember your A-level french:D

S&F
Attached files Tuspension_temporaire_par_la_glnf_de_ses_relations_avec_la_glua___14_juillet_2011.pdf (270.2 KB) 

I have had to move this into the general area as this no longer just something that is happening across the Channel. It now has an actual effect on UK Freemasons with regard to visiting French Lodge and obviously vice versa etc.

Not to mention those with dual membership.

Just read through the letter linked above.

Quite incredible that a G.M should send a letter like this to another Grand Lodge, accusing them of being un-Masonic and un-ethical. the whole tone of the letter is a disgrace.

Mike Martin (22/07/2011)
I have had to move this into the general area as this no longer just something that is happening across the Channel. It now has an actual effect on UK Freemasons with regard to visiting French Lodge and obviously vice versa etc.

As a secretary I have just had a similar letter from UGLE about suspension of recognition.

P.S. Quoting isn't working properly....

Mike Martin (22/07/2011)

Mike, I now some brethren who have dual membership...are they supposed to resign?

{Just a little syntex repair to the quote. }

john dee (14/01/2011)
I wonder how long it will be before we see a new GL formed in France that will become the new recognised GL by UGLE. Remember a few years ago a similar thing happened in Italy and the new GL in that country was soon recognised by UGLE as the official one. However, the USA did not de-recognise the original GL in Italy and as far as I know is not in amity with the new recognised GL. Many foreign GLs do not follow what the UGLE subsequently determines who to recognise in these countries in Europe that are determined to be a problem by GQS.

Italy was a different case, the GOI voted for no confidence in Di Bernardo and he left the obedience taking some lodges, then UGLE recognised them.

In this case it looks like the opposite is happening, however it's a sad situation for the members of the GLNF.

cuthbert (23/07/2011)
Mike Martin (22/07/2011)

Mike, I now some brethren who have dual membership...are they supposed to resign?

According to the official letter from the Grand Secretary to UGLE's Prov. GMs that is not the situation at the moment. However, when that was written Stifani had not "magically" rescinded the GLNF's recognition of the UGLE. I would suspect that a brother who holds membership under both Grand Lodges must now find himself with a very difficult decision to make.

According to the official letter from the Grand Secretary to UGLE's Prov. GMs that is not the situation at the moment. However, when that was written Stifani had not "magically" rescinded the GLNF's recognition of the UGLE. I would suspect that a brother who holds membership under both Grand Lodges must now find himself with a very difficult decision to make.

I read the letter, I find it strange that UGLE allows dual membership with a unrecognised body...perhaps is this just a transitional position to give the brethren the time to take a decision?

tyler (14/01/2011)
There are a lot of problems with the Grand Master of France and a sort of rebelion amongst many of its members and provinces. (Not least some of its Past GM). It all started to get heated with the purchase of a flat in the centre of Paris for around €2m for the "entertainment of foreign dignitaries" - and paid for out of masonic funds but not declared. Then you have the GM stating that he was the "link between God and Man" The missing money that may have gone to Sarkozy's party - The GM was head of Le Droit Humain and Sarkozy is/was and the pair are said to be 'friends'! Then there was court orders to look at the accounts of GL - and some €10m cannot be accounted for, but I think at the last count some €7m could be accounting errors! Then there are the various articles in general magazines, and especially l'express which could bring freemasonry as we know it, into ridicule. Oh and the small matter that he declared himself GM for another 5years without what we would call a proper ballot.This is a copy of a letter i received yesterday - I cannot comment on its authenticity - but it did come to me from a reliable source. Also see this link

http://blogs.lexpress.fr/lumiere-franc-macon/2011/01/11/document-exclusif-le-courrier-du-grand-chancelier-de-la-glua-qui-menace-les-grands-maitres-de-la-glnf/

Oh heck no, he did not! bring out the Goat with the nice sized horns! My Commander would ask me to refrain commenting on a matter that deals with Grand Lodges/Orients, so I shall hold my tongue. This information is very interesting and most likely discussed in our next meeting.