Sign in to follow this  
Mike Martin

Grand Lodge of Ireland

If any Brother has a few moments, please check out the new website and also the old site www.irish-freemasons.org. I'd be interested to see which one you prefer.

Hello Frank

I always disliked the old website as the functionality was very poor as links to pages were not direct in that they are often 3 or 4 web pages away. An example of poor function would be getting to a specific Lodge web site or even that of a Provincial web site. No excuse i such a high tech world to have abysmal temperance especially when we openly appoint a web master to do a job.

Hosting new web sites or revamping existing sites should have all material up and running before hosting. To partial host the viewer looses the will to continue. An example is that the old web site hosts GL minutes and the new web site does not. The GL news letter is no longer printed as we got informed that the majority of readers / members have access to internet. Then the logic should carry to having GL minutes hosted. Maybe it is in hand but why host a half cocked website.

It is interesting to observe that the Appendant Bodies section is also dumbed down on information. Hopefully the Handbook for Lodge Secretaries (not Lodge Secretarys as hosted) will be re-included. Hopefully the web master corrects that Ireland is in the Euro as the current old site mentions the Irish Punt which ceased in 1999 (16 years ago). Herein all web sites need to be continually reviewed and not merely hosted and forgotten about. Often the web site is a first impression and we all should strive to improve good standards.

Summary-
Functionality is better on the new site - but there is little to find.
New site although less dated appears as if plagiarized in styling of UGLE and GLoS
Layout is cleaner on new site.

Time will tell if our GL Ireland really has an effective web site or it continues with no substance or relevant material included.

L1

Frank, I like the new design for the site and have changed the url on the Quatuor Coronati Correspondence Circle site to your new one. One or two of the Provincial GL links don't work (404) and I've informed the GL office. I expect a responsive design will follow - for mobile phones and tablets. A bit short on information now, compared to the old site, but I'm sure it will grow and improve over the next few weeks.

As anticipated Grand Lodge of Ireland has now ceased hosting the old web site. Unfortunately none of the Irish Provinces have been informed therefore their web links directs you to a dead site. So much for strategic planning by the Orders elite. Change by stealth and concealing our own workings is a step into a cul-de-sac.

My views as previously stated remain unchanged. Having past records of GL minutes accessible on the old site was great for research and showed to the public the Oder was hiding nothing. But now the members are further denied openness. Nothing wrong with improving services but the new site is a wasted opportunity to continue positive use of modern media.

Since the question arose ( June 2015 post ) as to whether the new web site or the old site was preferred I reiteriate that old web site was not easily navigated but at least it had some worthy information such as the minutes of GL.

Now, even the minutes are no longer hosted. This was a useful resource to glean offical directions and rulings on matters rather than secnond or third hand hearsay reporting. I suspect like our GL accounts ordinary members should not be advised of their workings !

Mike Martin first posted on 13 June 2015 that Grand Lodge Of Ireland had new a website, i aired concerns .

Sadly, since then Grand Lodge has not finished anything on the site, Not even a singular news item has been hosted. No archive upon anything. No schedule of Grand lodge meeting dates.

The hierarchy of Irish Masonry is effectively switching off the lights.

I would have thought that in June 2015 when GLoI took the decision to change its website which had lots of information, regular updates including GL minutes to the now existing, totally useless website - that it was being done at behest of a webmaster.    

What GL has successfully achieved by their implantation without discussion is the eradication of decisions by GL contained within their own reports. Each report insignificant when read independently but when appraised collectively a wholly different account to matters became transparent.  Nor has the recruitment of a new Grand Secretary with necessary skills changes matters one iota. 

Grand Lodge of Ireland has again revamped its website - same address   https://freemason.ie/

The 2015 revamped web site was inferior to content as what was previously hosted with extensive back catalog of minutes historical matter. And now this second revamp there is less material hosted.

Not even a news section. Keeping the membership in the dark!