Sign in to follow this  
willf

New Branding for UGLE?

In the commercial world of marketing I might agree with you dr-andy-green but Freemasonry is not of that world. For me at least it is precisely because Freemasonry is unlike any other organisation that is one of its attractions. The wider world is not and need not be concerned about Lodges, Provinces and Grand Lodge. The several forms of the S&C which we all use in our various ways 'says' all that needs to be said. Remember that each Lodge is a largely autonomous unit. I'm not against change, on the contrary, but I am against change for change sake. I do wonder how much of our subs they spent on a marketing outfit to come up with that lame 'branding'!

We need to do SOMETHING to attract new members, preferably younger and to retain the existing membership. I'm not saying that this initiative is it...and the mocking way you address the technobabble may be warranted.. but at least the rulers aren't sitting with their heads in the sand. Ok, sometimes doing anything rather than nothing CAN be more damaging.. but we'll just have to wait and see.

T.

It is something, but it isn't striking to me, I cannot see it meaning anything at all to a non Freemason. It is more streamlined, will UGLE itself follow suit. I know it is trying.

For what it's worth, my view is that Freemasonry is already attractive - to certain people. It's not a numbers game and never has been. This may seem an elitist view but in recent decades we have been too ready to accept all and sundry, with little if any proper selection criteria being applied, and that has led to the problem of having too many Lodges; too many centres that are too large to sustain and the call for greater and greater numbers of members to finance them. Large numbers of what I might call 'degree fodder' gain little or no knowledge of or benefit from Freemasonry, because those recruiting them don't have that knowledge either and have been caught up in the numbers race. Of course, they become disenchanted and leave, exacerbating a problem created by chasing membership - a viscious circle. Personally, I rejoice when I read the list of closing and amalgating Lodges in the Quarterly Communications, seeing that as a gradual and natural return to sanity. While I see hope in a return to core values and quality, I feel that our masters tend only to see a reduction in dues.

If UGLE is thinking of rebranding why should they look any further than what is recognised by the world as the emblem of freemasonry which is The overlapping S & C as depicting in dr-andy-greens post. This has been used throughout the world on most if not all , books and correspondence that depict freemasonry. Only when a candidate is induced to freemasonry that they learn the meaning of the said tool's.

I understand that UGLE is looking at using the S & C but depicted separated , would this mean that all Masonic rings, cufflinks, lapel pins, ties and gloves will require changing to conform with the new masonic branding. I hope not.

Come on UGLE just go with the flow.

David B (01/07/2015)[hr...would this mean that all Masonic rings, cufflinks, lapel pins, ties and gloves will require changing to conform with the new masonic branding. I hope not.

Come on UGLE just go with the flow.

Dave, I hope you do not take this personally, but you are talking nonsense! From what I can see, UGLE has adopted a stylised depiction of a masonic device as a brand for the 2017 celebrations. They have created a logo, not a new masonic emblem. Unless, of course, their intention IS to make a new emblem, in which case I am talking nonsense.

I quite like it.

Its clean, modern and simple. The reason for this I would imagine is that UGLE then hold copyright over the new official logo which can not be reproduced without permission.

If you look up Freemason Logo you get the S&C in many guises but not the Coat of Arms

I am concerned over the term rebranding which usually means that all other logos, refereed to here as the Arms, are dropped. Surelly on official in house documents such as the warrant or a certificate it will remain as an embossed stamp?

chestnut (01/07/2015)
Its clean, modern and simple. The reason for this I would imagine is that UGLE then hold copyright over the new official logo which can not be reproduced without permission.

I think this is probably a very good reason why is it not the "standard" S&Cs formation.

David B (01/07/2015)

I understand that UGLE is looking at using the S & C but depicted separated , would this mean that all Masonic rings, cufflinks, lapel pins, ties and gloves will require changing to conform with the new masonic branding.

Quite a boost for TKS and others then!

All business and organisations re brand or amend their outward physical appearance. Some even do so for the purpose to launch them selves into a new era with the unveiling of the new logo, new type font or new colours.

UGLE from what I have read from other posts are not reinventing the Order nor changing what the Order is about. The new image is merely about how the outside sees the Order of which the membership should be fully briefed as to how to sell this new image to its own members who are the ambassadors to general public/ or friends and neighbours.

The failings and discontent of management to address what we say in Irish masonry as 'The Elephants in the Room' within the Order is to absolutely remain unchanged. The Elephants are the declining membership, retention of members, costs , state of buildings etc etc. The new UGLE logo / image is clean and modern. As a previous post has stated that the S&C are varied and can not be copyrighted. Sit back and enjoy the attention it gets while the Order inwardly stagnates.

At first my initial reaction was that I didn't really like it.

However, I have gone back to it a few times and I actually like it. I think we shouldn't get too carried away as I believe the intention is only for this to be used instead of the coat of arms of UGLE when the UGLE does publicity rather than becoming an emblem of the Craft. My Honest opinion is this is a good move because

this:

Replaces this:

This is only my personal view of course, but I preferred the crest...

After someone said it, I now can't get Pingu out of my head. I am trying to see it as the average person on the streets would see it, but the crest (or coat of arms) was one of the trappings of tradition that drew me to masonry.

I will keep an open mind...but...not convinced as of yet.

Lewis (05/07/2015)
We will have to rewrite the presentation of the GL certificate now. But it would make it easier with the new logo!!!!

I suspect that the new logo is for 'external' communication purposes only. I doubt that it will feature on the GL certificate.

Lewis (05/07/2015)
We will have to rewrite the presentation of the GL certificate now. But it would make it easier with the new logo!!!!

"And this is the seal of Grand Lodge; known as "The Pingu Stamp". It recalls to our minds the youthful past of us all, and reminds us that compared to the almighty, we are all still children."

I suspect that the new logo is for 'external' communication purposes only. I doubt that it will feature on the GL certificate.

That is my take on the new logo as well. As I understand this, Mike's post about one "replacing" the other, why factually correct in some circumstances, is misleading. It should be clear from the new logo, to masons and non-masons alike, that one is looking at a document that comes from the masonic order, specifically the UGLE. Unless I have completely missed the point (which is not beyond the realms of possibility) this logo is aimed mostly at the general public. It will also serve to remind Brethren of the anniversary for which it was created. The coat of arms will not be dispensed with. I see no reason why this logo, with the appropriate change of name, could not be used by all three of the Home Constitutions.

(Edit to ask) Will, can you cite a reference to the quote you use in the original post? Thank you.

Ho-hum, I hope the "Pingu effect" doesn't bring scorn on us - it's pretty innocuous, but whether it means anything to the outside world beyond Pingu remains to be seen.

Some years ago, I was working for British Airways, when a (now somewhat discredited) Chief Executive had the bright idea of changing all the tails of the aircraft to reflect the international business of the airline. A consultancy company was paid a million quid to come up with the designs, and all staff had a little teach-in about what was happening, and why it was so brilliant :ermm:.

I came back to my office very doubtful of the value of the move, unlike a couple of colleagues who half-believed in it. In time, after ATC comments like "Follow the Vomit Comet", a certain Lady* publicly agreed with me and used her handkerchief to cover one of the abominations on a model.

Gradually all aircraft were repainted with the familiar red, white and blue "Chatham" flag. So, I've seen it all before!

* I make no judgement - that was her title.

Frank (06/07/2015)

That is my take on the new logo as well. As I understand this, Mike's post about one "replacing" the other, why factually correct in some circumstances, is misleading. It should be clear from the new logo, to masons and non-masons alike, that one is looking at a document that comes from the masonic order, specifically the UGLE. Unless I have completely missed the point (which is not beyond the realms of possibility) this logo is aimed mostly at the general public. It will also serve to remind Brethren of the anniversary for which it was created. The coat of arms will not be dispensed with. I see no reason why this logo, with the appropriate change of name, could not be used by all three of the Home Constitutions.

(Edit to ask) Will, can you cite a reference to the quote you use in the original post? Thank you.

Original post edited as requested.

Trouillogan (06/07/2015)
I know I'm a bit old but would some kind brother please enlighten me as to what the word 'Pingu' represents?

The feller on the right is Pingu:

Trouillogan (06/07/2015)
I know I'm a bit old but would some kind brother please enlighten me as to what the word 'Pingu' represents?

As the post above shows, Pingu is an animated penguin for kids. The S & Q does look a little like his open beak from the front.

T.

Sparker (06/07/2015)
Trouillogan (06/07/2015)

As the post above shows, Pingu is an animated penguin for kids. The S & Q does look a little like his open beak from the front.

T.

Scare and Quompasses? :blush:

Roy V (07/07/2015)
Sparker (06/07/2015)
Trouillogan (06/07/2015)

T.

Scare and Quompasses? :blush:

Pfffffffffttttttttttt

T.

I like the new design except for the position of the square and compasses. I think it makes it look like it is quasi-masonic rather than the real deal as many non-masons know that the "usual arrangement" of the square and compasses represent Freemasonry.

I don't think it will necessarily draw in any more candidates than would normally apply, for me the winged figures with goats feet are eye-catching enough to make any outsider curious :-)