Sign in to follow this  
willf

New Branding for UGLE?

I am in two minds about the new design. The major concern I have is that it is 'visually similar' to the logos of a number of corporations and other institutions and perhaps not distinct enough.
I think that I follow some of the rationale behind its introduction and hope that all will be made clear when the full media communications plan is published.

Trouillogan (01/07/2015)
For what it's worth, my view is that Freemasonry is already attractive - to certain people. It's not a numbers game and never has been. This may seem an elitist view but in recent decades we have been too ready to accept all and sundry, with little if any proper selection criteria being applied, and that has led to the problem of having too many Lodges; too many centres that are too large to sustain and the call for greater and greater numbers of members to finance them. Large numbers of what I might call 'degree fodder' gain little or no knowledge of or benefit from Freemasonry, because those recruiting them don't have that knowledge either and have been caught up in the numbers race. Of course, they become disenchanted and leave, exacerbating a problem created by chasing membership - a viscious circle. Personally, I rejoice when I read the list of closing and amalgating Lodges in the Quarterly Communications, seeing that as a gradual and natural return to sanity. While I see hope in a return to core values and quality, I feel that our masters tend only to see a reduction in dues.

I don't see the need of changing anything masonic except for any pins with the new logo from UGLE.

Tom Cherup (06/09/2015)

I don't see the need of changing anything masonic except for any pins with the new logo from UGLE.

Tom, we don't seem to have the same propensity for pins as you do on your side of the pond.

I still prefer the old armorial logo/coat of arms. It says so much about our history and origins that it seems a shame if we don't keep it.

Also, some 'young people' like a bit of history.

3GP441 (06/09/2015)
I still prefer the old armorial logo/coat of arms. It says so much about our history and origins that it seems a shame if we don't keep it.

I agree it has class.

willf (04/07/2015)
It will be interesting to read the "full media communications plan in this autumn's edition of Freemasonry Today".

Its out now with an interview with the communications director of UGLE

bod (07/09/2015)
willf (04/07/2015)
It will be interesting to read the "full media communications plan in this autumn's edition of Freemasonry Today".

Its out now with an interview with the communications director of UGLE

If you mean the article in Freemasonry Today then it did not mention much about the new branding. I also would not consider it a "full media communications plan". But thanks for mentioning the article.

I'm not against modernization, but I think there may be other areas of the fraternity where modernization should have been a priority over a logo re branding and money better spent. Do the public really care what our logo looks like? I don't believe they do. I don't envisage the Royal Warrant is going to be changed any time soon as an exercise to modernize the Royal Family's image. It's the Royal Family, we know what they represent. The people who will look upon Freemasonry with suspicion will not change their view because our logo suddenly looks more modern and less imperialistic.

As for the new logo itself; I'm not keen.

Was anyone asked for idea's I wonder.....if not.....I would have thought with such talent within Freemasonry, someone could have come up with something to replace the iconic logo which had served the fraternity so well, and for so long. It seems the chisel needs to be sharpened

Bootlebuck1 (07/09/2015)
Was anyone asked for idea's I wonder.....if not.....I would have thought with such talent within Freemasonry, someone could have come up with something to replace the iconic logo which had served the fraternity so well, and for so long. It seems the chisel needs to be sharpened

Personally I'm a bit worried about what is going on and who is driving it!

Last week I had to point out a serious historical inaccuracy on the UGLE website. That worries me as TPTB don't seem to care about the history of Grand Lodge but using the website solely as a "recruitment" tool! They don't seem to realise that thousands of Freemasons (not just from the UK) look to the website to get a grip on the history of the English Grand Lodges. Even now information that I shared regarding the evidence of Lodges in England in the 1680s has been ignored even when I told them not just which book but the page numbers in it so they didn't have to search. As a result I feel uncomfortable pointing out the information about the English Grand Lodges that they have also left off the history page.

eric384 (30/06/2015)
The overlayed square and compasses have been associated with freemasonry for years. To have them split looks like something totally ditterent. This explanation doesn't wash.

'Associated' by whom? The whole point is to provide a new external symbol for Freemasony that might be looked at as being a symbol more in line with the world today. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with Aude, Vide, Tace - just that if you asked 90% of Masons today what it meant they would not know. Similarly, those of us in the craft know about the overlaid S & C, but does anybody outside? This whole exercise just seems to be an attempt at presenting a more modern face to the 'outside world'. Can anybody honestly say that we don't need to do that?
Just my tuppence worth.

3GP441 (06/09/2015)

I don't believe for one second that there is any 'plan' afoot to replace the Coat of Arms. I'm absolutely certain that the new logo is exactly just that - a logo to be used on websites, external circulars, etc. I'm quite prepared to have a side bet that if any of us are still around in 50 years time - so will the Coat of Arms.

I still keep seeing the word "replace".
Can somebody let me know where this has come from? I can't find any reference anywhere to the new logo being used to replace anything. As far as I can tell (and I am very far removed from the corridors of power and have only heard about this through the pages of FMT and this forum) this is just an attempt to have a new logo that provides a simple and instantly recognisable image. Don't forget, every time the symbol that has been disparaged as being 'Pingu like' is used it is just part of the whole logo which includes the words 'United Grand Lodge of England'.
Give it a chance chaps.

But the logo is supposedly representing the square and compasses, we as Masons know that, but the outside world doesn't, I cannot see the point in changing something, to represent what it no longer looks like, that's my own personal view, for what it's worth

How may freemasons does it take to change a lighbulb?

Why should we change the lighbulb, there's nothing wrong with the old lightbulb...

Change? We don't do change!

In my day lightbulbs lasted longer and really understood their place in the lodge

Don't understand this kowtowing to modern ways, in my day we had a Tilley lamp and considered ourselves lucky if the oil didnt' run out.

Ad nauseum, ad infinitum

:crazy: