Sign in to follow this  
Medic

Minding My own Business

It was the Monday 21 at home minding my own business when the phone rang, it was the wife who had earlier gone out with the grandchildren to the local Garden Centre who had an ice rink and they wanted to ice skate. The authorities stated kids must be accompanied by an adult, hence the phone call "Now don't them down they have looking forward to this" So off I go the Garden Centre which is not very far away. All tooled up looking like a real prate, I step onto the ice with the youngest making our way to the fence/side call what you will. I go down with a bang ending up with a fracture of the neck of femur, I am now the owner of a completely new hip.Having spent the whole of Christmas in hospital.
The Garden Centre has a medic and I use that term loosely who had no idea what to do. I suggested to him to get me off the ice as soon as possible, they had no means to do that, as the fall they usually deal with is are very minor, this was big. They covered me with blankets to keep me warm, two hours later the Paramedics came. and insisted in cutting off my clothes so they can measure my vital sighs. I ask if they could get me off the ice first, NO they had a system and they are keeping to it. I was angry and told them so, and when I told them of my medical career they apologised and slowed down. They got the backboard, turned me on my left side I gave out a cry of pain so they put me back. "listen you morons I said, I have a broken hip and it is painful, it is in my interest to get me off the ice.( now three hours) "So turn me on my left, take no notice of me and get that back board in and get me off the ice. The paramedic said Listen everybody Ben has come up with a plan....I do feel for this brilliant institution that I served in, it has loss it way.

sojourner (02/01/2016)
And best wishes for a full and speedy recovery from me. Try not to come to order in the Second for a while !

Or as an old 'un said to me many years ago: "Don't be a wimp, more fortitude, m'boy, more fortitude!"

In the absence of which, I wish you well and able to return to full function as soon as possible.

Oh take a paracetamol and man-up for gawd's sake!

Seriously though... so so sorry your Christmas (and let's face it, the Christmas of your loved ones too) was ruined and that you are/were in so much pain.

Mind you.. I am a little suspicious of your diagnostic abilities, if you told the medics you had a broken hip when all the time it was the neck of the femur!

All the best for a speedy recovery Bro.

T.

Well, it's all in the same area, and older people ;) frequently damage these parts when they insist on dangerous sporting activities :w00t: . I'm more concerned with the paramedics monitoring his "vital sighs" - I bet there were plenty of those!

I am hobbering around like Quasimodo trying to keep up a stiffer lip. Thanks for all your best wishes, it is interesting to note that all my masonic messages of get well have come from my Mark Lodge, Yet as W/M of my day lodge nothing. Have been in contact with my Secretary, D.C and Almoner regarding my next ritual, at the end of the month,still nothing. Brotherly love???????????????

Medic (04/01/2016)
I am hobbering around like Quasimodo trying to keep up a stiffer lip. Thanks for all your best wishes, it is interesting to note that all my masonic messages of get well have come from my Mark Lodge, Yet as W/M of my day lodge nothing. Have been in contact with my Secretary, D.C and Almoner regarding my next ritual, at the end of the month,still nothing. Brotherly love???????????????

That IS puzzling. Does your Almoner at least know that you are out of action? I'd expect at least a card or a bunch of flowers (you know the ones.. a bouquet in the shape of a whiskey bottle...) to be sent. I'd be having a very direct word, if I were you Bro.

And as long as you hobble about like Quasi doing "Strictly Come Hobbling" and it's not only your upper lip you can make stiff.. you'll be just fine.

T.

The funny thing is I Phoned both of my Almoners and one said it is only a phone service, I said I did not get even that! this is me phoning you. Well what do you want? Nothing forget it I said, and put the phone down. The other one was not much better he apologised and came and saw me today, bring a bottle of port, I hate port and all fortified wines. This is the last time I am going to break my leg !!!

Medic (11/01/2016)
The funny thing is I Phoned both of my Almoners and one said it is only a phone service, I said I did not get even that! this is me phoning you. Well what do you want? Nothing forget it I said, and put the phone down. The other one was not much better he apologised and came and saw me today, bring a bottle of port, I hate port and all fortified wines. This is the last time I am going to break my leg !!!

PHONE SERVICE?.. WHO THE HELL DOES HE THINK HE IS???? I'd contact the WM or the next Master Elect and make sure he is removed from office. This guy who is pretending to be an almoner needs the riot act read to him. At least the other guy realised the error of his ways and apologised. And at least you can bring the port to the OTHER lodge and use it as a raffle prize. But as you said.. it's your own stupid fault for breaking your leg. Tchah!

T.

PLEASE tell me he's the almoner of the lodge is which you are WM! - and replace him immediately.
Oh - and make sure the Provincial Almoner and Secretary know .. almoners will be prime candidates for promotions.

The almoner in question is of my lodge in which I am the W/M. I will be saving my wrath for next week when I will be attending my committee/rehearsal meeting.

Medic: I think your problem is greatly of your own making.

Only in November you posted here "I am having to do Double first later this month. It is my first ceremony having been installed in October."

Well, we all gave our views on doubles, but since you thereby admitted that you had been Installed in October, this rogue/"useless" Almoner was Appointed and Invested by you at that time, presumably with your full confidence in his qualities. You are not inexperienced in the Craft - your avatar depicts you in in Dark Blue - you also quote your rank as PPrGSuptWks.

But it's not enough to stick someone in a post and expect him to get on with it. At any time, any of your other members might be in need of succour, or to have their necessities relieved: are you (or were you, in October,) confident you chose the right bloke??

"Cheesh!" as Yogi Bear would say.

I'm going to defend Medic here; he might be a Provincial Officer - but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't/wouldn't have confidence in an existing office holder (I'm assuming the Almoner was a reappointment) until you have definitive reason to know he's not doing the job properly - as in this case. If you're going to blame anyone, it should be either the PM who ORIGINALLY appointed him - or morely likely, his predecessor as Almoner as the permanent officers often identify their successors. Not to mention that from Medic's post, I'm making an educated guess that he's a joining member of the lodge in which he's now WM.

soltaran (20/01/2016)
I'm going to defend Medic here; he might be a Provincial Officer - but that doesn't mean that he shouldn't/wouldn't have confidence in an existing office holder (I'm assuming the Almoner was a reappointment) until you have definitive reason to know he's not doing the job properly - as in this case. If you're going to blame anyone, it should be either the PM who ORIGINALLY appointed him - or morely likely, his predecessor as Almoner as the permanent officers often identify their successors. Not to mention that from Medic's post, I'm making an educated guess that he's a joining member of the lodge in which he's now WM.

I did write to my secretary asking him to bring it up at the next committee meeting, and he replied that he felt sad that I should question the actions of the Almoner who has done the job for the past ten years. That in his capacity as Almoner he has gone beyond the call of the post, and that in this case it must be an oversight on his part. He also went to on to say that I hope that I will will not pursue this any further. So you see yes I did invest him, but I did not appoint him as advised by my committee. Even now, I have a committee/rehearsal meeting next Monday morning he has not contacted me as to ask how I am going to get there knowing I cannot drive at the moment. Soltaren is right, I am a joining member, five years ago, holding only four post before being Master.

Might I suggest, Medic, that to avoid future difficulties of like nature, you enact a by-law to limit the holding of any office to a maximum of, say, five years, except for that of Organist, Chaplain if he is a man of the cloth, and perhaps Treasurer if he hold an accountancy qualification? It would need to include some minimum period during which he could not be re-appointed to the same office. Just a thought.

Medic (20/01/2016)

I did write to my secretary asking him to bring it up at the next committee meeting, and he replied that he felt sad that I should question the actions of the Almoner who has done the job for the past ten years. That in his capacity as Almoner he has gone beyond the call of the post, and that in this case it must be an oversight on his part. He also went to on to say that I hope that I will will not pursue this any further. So you see yes I did invest him, but I did not appoint him as advised by my committee. Even now, I have a committee/rehearsal meeting next Monday morning he has not contacted me as to ask how I am going to get there knowing I cannot drive at the moment. Soltaren is right, I am a joining member, five years ago, holding only four post before being Master.

I started out with great sympathy for your story and that continues for your physical injuries which I hope are resolved soon. However, some of your other comments are a little puzzling. If you are the WM, why are you writing to the Secretary ASKING for something to be included on an agenda. Why are you not TELLING him to put it up for discussion, or does an UGLE Master not have the same powers as a GLoI Master? Next, while I agree with you that the Almoner should have been a little more pro-active (although I do not have enough facts to lay blame or offer advice on whether he should go or stay), do you really think it is his responsibility to look after your transport arrangements? Might he not reasonably assume, unless you specifically ask him to organise a lift for you, that you will make your own arrangements for transport? While Almoners have a great responsibility, I have yet to find one who is a mind reader. An Almoner can only do a job with the information he has (and I acknowledge that you have already contacted him). All Brethren, both those who need help and especially those who know someone who needs help, have a duty to apprise the Almoner of the details.

Frank, I do not think that for one minute in my capacity as Master to throw my weight around, bang desk, and make demands it does not not work here in Somerset. As regards to the Almoner thinking about my travel arrangements, he must know that I can't drive at the moment, the man has had a hip job himself, a little fore thought is not a lot to ask for? Before my accident, I drove a neighbour of mine who is on the square and not of my lodge. He is recovering from a major operation and can't drive at the moment, but I've drove him to his lodge and go back to pick him up, have even stayed for the evening as his guest. This is what I am talking about a bit of, do unto him as you........

I don't really want to restart this but I infer you think that I am suggesting you act like a bully. I'll merely point out that it is not about throwing your weight around. It is about being Master in your lodge. You weren't elected as some sort of mediator, you were put in charge. So take charge. Your lodge will be the better for it.

Frank (27/01/2016)
I don't really want to restart this but I infer you think that I am suggesting you act like a bully. I'll merely point out that it is not about throwing your weight around. It is about being Master in your lodge. You weren't elected as some sort of mediator, you were put in charge. So take charge. Your lodge will be the better for it.

Agreed Frank. In discharging his duties as Master of the Lodge, a Mason must make his wishes clear to the Brethren, so that there is no room for interpretation. Now there are ways and means of doing this. One can act like a tyrant and shout and scream and rant and rave, but you'd very soon find yourself in an empty Lodge room! If one makes statements of intent and puts it in a friendly but clear way, then the brethren should in theory carry out those wishes.

From time to time, you will encounter a Mason with his own agenda and his own way of doing things. He should be listened to just like anyone else. He should weigh the pros and cons, but he should always be the one to make the final decisions.

There are different degrees of making a decision. It's not just black and white..being a rug and being walked all over OR being a tyrant... apply the appropriate amount of firmness pertinent to the case in hand.

T.

Quote; Agreed Frank. In discharging his duties as Master of the Lodge, a Mason must make his wishes clear to the Brethren, so that there is no room for interpretation. Now there are ways and means of doing this. One can act like a tyrant and shout and scream and rant and rave, but you'd very soon find yourself in an empty Lodge room! If one makes statements of intent and puts it in a friendly but clear way, then the brethren should in theory carry out those wishes. Quote:

When I was elected I had to present to a Past Masters Committee, My officers for the year, what changes if any I would like to see in the running of the lodge, and what social functions I have planed. Once agreed, they are put in place no arguments no falling out.

I am always a little puzzled by such incidents.

The Master is elected by the Brethren to preside over the Lodge.

The Master appoints and invests the Officers, with the exception on those elected.

His Officers are ultimately his choice and work for him on behalf of the Lodge.

It is not acknowledging the responsibility of the Master for any committee to overrule or enforce.

No Master should devolve his responsibility. He has final approval or veto.

Of course simple management and cooperation within an organisation means that a level of politics and compromise is required. By all members.

chestnut (29/01/2016)
I am always a little puzzled by such incidents.

The Master is elected by the Brethren to preside over the Lodge.

The Master appoints and invests the Officers, with the exception on those elected.

His Officers are ultimately his choice and work for him on behalf of the Lodge.

It is not acknowledging the responsibility of the Master for any committee to overrule or enforce.

No Master should devolve his responsibility. He has final approval or veto.

Of course simple management and cooperation within an organisation means that a level of politics and compromise is required. By all members.

I do agree that that is how it should be. However, there are brethren who reach the chair never having, say, chaired a meeting in their lives and may not have much clue about management. They do need help but first they have to recognise that need. Having gone through that process, ideally during the stints of JW and SW, his authority must not be questioned. Unfortunately the ideal is sometimes not reached.