Sign in to follow this  
Medic

Minding My own Business

We must first assume that the Master Elect can carry out the duties required unless he has indicated otherwise and would delegate responsibility to others. The starting point, which is seen so often, is for the Secretary/PM's to immediately assume responsibility for all decisions leaving the new WM feeling like a puppet.

chestnut (01/02/2016)
We must first assume that the Master Elect can carry out the duties required unless he has indicated otherwise and would delegate responsibility to others. The starting point, which is seen so often, is for the Secretary/PM's to immediately assume responsibility for all decisions leaving the new WM feeling like a puppet.

I do not feel like a puppet but I understand what you are saying. When you say carry out the duties required what do you mean e.g. bits of ritual? we all do that.

Medic (01/02/2016)
chestnut (01/02/2016)

I do not feel like a puppet but I understand what you are saying. When you say carry out the duties required what do you mean e.g. bits of ritual? we all do that.

bits of ritual? we all do that - Some don't.

My comment was not directed at you but to those Masters who I have spoken to who were told what to do, given their officers, meals chosen for them etc.

At its basic level the Masters duty is to perform ritual, in whatever capacity they can. However there is more to it than just that:
Chair GPC meetings.
Oversee any other committee.
Engage with the DC and Secretary on Lodge matters including degrees or Provincial matters.
Engage with any Festival Committee
Represent the Lodge at any Combined Lodge meeting, Installation meetings and Provincial Meetings.

It is the Master who is responsible for the Lodge whilst in his tenure.

Medic (29/01/2016)

Quote; Agreed Frank. In discharging his duties as Master of the Lodge, a Mason must make his wishes clear to the Brethren, so that there is no room for interpretation. Now there are ways and means of doing this. One can act like a tyrant and shout and scream and rant and rave, but you'd very soon find yourself in an empty Lodge room! If one makes statements of intent and puts it in a friendly but clear way, then the brethren should in theory carry out those wishes. Quote:

When I was elected I had to present to a Past Masters Committee, My officers for the year, what changes if any I would like to see in the running of the lodge, and what social functions I have planed. Once agreed, they are put in place no arguments no falling out.

"Once agreed"? The Masters word is law.

If you are elected, then the brethren have demonstrated their faith in you and that you will run the Lodge according to the principles and tenets of the Craft and of course for the good of the Lodge itself. If anything, prospective Candidates for the Mastership of the Lodge, should present their thoughts beforehand and then the brethren should elect as Master whoever they think has made the best presentation.

Medic.. sometimes you really puzzle me. You are obviously a long serving and knowledgeable Mason, but your posts leave me shaking my head, they really do.

T.

I have been a mason for 29 years, during that time I have been master of my mother lodge, now in the chair again of another craft lodge. Master of my Mark lodge twice. So broadly speaking yes I am an experienced mason, and held council on meetings that I was engaged on. However I do not see it as a big deal, it is not complicated at my level in the hierarchy.
Sparker stop shaking your head, mate it's not that bad, nobody will die, it's a hobby.

I was elevated into the Ram degree last night, another chance to put my head above the parapet as Worshipful Commander.

Sparker (02/02/2016)
Medic (29/01/2016)

In Freemasonry the Master rules his lodge but he rules by consent. His Brethren dont have to do as he says,they can simply walk away. The power the Master has is only borrowed and must be returned at the end of his tenure.

yorksmason (02/02/2016)
Sparker (02/02/2016)
Medic (29/01/2016)

In Freemasonry the Master rules his lodge but he rules by consent. His Brethren dont have to do as he says,they can simply walk away. The power the Master has is only borrowed and must be returned at the end of his tenure.

Indeed. the brethren CAN walk away.. but if they do that, they cannot dictate policy can they?

Most people would be able to discern what was meant by my post. If you have difficulties in understanding the nuances of the English language, let me know and I'll try to use words of no more than one syllable.

T.

Sparker (02/02/2016)
yorksmason (02/02/2016)
Sparker (02/02/2016)
Medic (29/01/2016)

Indeed. the brethren CAN walk away.. but if they do that, they cannot dictate policy can they?

Most people would be able to discern what was meant by my post. If you have difficulties in understanding the nuances of the English language, let me know and I'll try to use words of no more than one syllable.

T.

There was absolutely no need for your reply to be so rude and offensive.

Sparker (02/02/2016)
yorksmason (02/02/2016)
Sparker (02/02/2016)
Medic (29/01/2016)

T.

Tony, Here in Michigan, if you disagree with the Master and wish to challenge his word. If Grand Lodge supports him you will loose your membership.

yorksmason (03/02/2016)
Sparker (02/02/2016)
yorksmason (02/02/2016)
Sparker (02/02/2016)
Medic (29/01/2016)

T.

You're quite right, Brother. I can offer no excuse other than being human and therefore fallible. In the spirit of brotherly love, I offer unreserved apologies and a willingness to work with that love and harmony which at all times characterises Freemasons.

T.

Sparker (03/02/2016)
yorksmason (03/02/2016)
Sparker (02/02/2016)
yorksmason (02/02/2016)
Sparker (02/02/2016)
Medic (29/01/2016)

T.

You're quite right, Brother. I can offer no excuse other than being human and therefore fallible. In the spirit of brotherly love, I offer unreserved apologies and a willingness to work with that love and harmony which at all times characterises Freemasons.

T.

Accepted in the fraternal spirit in which it was offered.

Sparker (03/02/2016)
Tom,that's a bit harsh isn't it?

T.

Tony, I did not agree with a Master and was told don't bring it to Grand Lodge because 90% of the time GL agrees with the master and I'd loose my membership. So I know it first hand. So I just walked away and did'nt take part that year.

... But if unfortunately your differences be of such a nature as to not be so easily adjusted, it were better that one or both of you retire than that the harmony of the Lodge should be disturbed by your presence.

Wise words.

Tom Cherup (03/02/2016)
Sparker (03/02/2016)
Tom,that's a bit harsh isn't it?

T.

Tony, I did not agree with a Master and was told don't bring it to Grand Lodge because 90% of the time GL agrees with the master and I'd loose my membership. So I know it first hand. So I just walked away and did'nt take part that year.

Yes Tom, I agree with you. The harshness was on their part, not yours.

T.