Sign in to follow this  
Sparker

PM's jewel

Brethren,what are your practices/views on the Past Masters jewel?

In my Mother Lodge, when a Brother had completed his year in the Chair, he was presented with his PM's Jewel with a nice piece of ritual. This then was his to keep and to wear as he saw fit. Naturally, he would also wear the badge of a PM with levels rather than rosettes.

In my present Lodge, the IPM wears the jewel for only as long as his year in office and then it is passed on to the next Brother who takes the Chair.

My question is in two parts.
A) Do you get to keep your jewel when you are the IPM and subsequent Masonic career or just keep it for the year.
Or
B) if you get to keep it for good, when do you wear it or cease to wear it?

T.

The jewel, if you have earn't it, belongs to you for life.

I only wore mine up till I had received Provincial honours, then I returned it to my Lodge to recycle if they wanted it. (Cost saving)

I have now moved Lodge and Districts and when I was going through an old unused store came across 4 PM jewels from around the 30 & 40 period. I refurbished them and now we use these on a rotational basis till the PM obtains his District honours. (Here it is a 4 year wait regardless)

For those who wear it it should be worn after your HRA jewel if you belong to that order.
  • Thanks 1

In my Mother Lodge the bespoke PM's jewel had the Lodge crest on the ribbon and was inscribed with the members name on the back. The top bar had inscribed and enameled his succession, ( ie 39th in my case) in Latin and on the bottom bar his term of office. It was very much a personalised item and was yours to keep.

It was the practice, not a rule but a practice, that when you attained Provincial rank it was handed back to be refurbished. This I dutifully did. Sadly my Mother Lodge folded in 2005. I attended that last sad meeting when the Warrant was handed back to the Grand Lodge representative (I hope never again to attend another such meeting). Before closing the Lodge for the last time, the WM came down from the East (I was acting SD)and re-presented me with my PM's jewel. A lump in the throat doesn't cover it. I now proudly wear that jewel whenever I attend a Lodge.

Incidentally my Mother Mark Lodge also had a very bespoke and personalised PM's jewel which was a gift from the Brethren and given to keep. I still wear that to my Scottish Chapter (in Scotland the Mark is primarily a Chapter Degree but also given in Craft Lodges) where I am again 'Z'.

Some individuals assert "that it is a rule that you don't wear a PM's jewel when you attain Provincial rank". Absolute rubbish. There is no such rule or directive in the B.O.C. And judging by the number of Provincial Officers I see wearing their PM's jewel they agree.

My lodge gives a PM jewel (after completion of the term) which is the holder's to do with as he pleases. Sometimes they are returned to the Lodge, when they are re-issued with a new bar and new name added. I hate to see where a previous recipient's name has been removed; it somehow seems like erasing history. We also have the first Master's jewel which came back to the lodge. It is given to each Master for him to wear in the lodge during his year. He probably should not wear it outside his own lodge, unless he is already a PM, but I'm sure many do. I was WM in 1988 and I have been a provincial Officer since 1999. I always wear my PM jewel with my Provincial regalia, both in PG Lodge and when visiting.Edited to add that our jewel is worn from a neck cord, although many others are worn on the left breast. Many that have pins are pinned to the owner's Provincial collar.

In Olive Branch a out going Master (soon to be a Past Master) receives his Past Master's Apron and Jewel at the installation of the new master and officers. He get to keep both.

For what it is worth, I was given my PM jewel at the end of installation ceremony,of my successor (1999) and I still wear it even with my Provincial regalia. I'm looking forward to getting my next one this October, and I will do the same again. As all ready mentioned they are mine to keep, and dispose of as seem fit. I will give them back to my lodges to be given to another Past Master,in the future.

An interesting question and one which I often hear.

Our Masonic ancestors, as old photos can confirm, proudly wore all their jewels, charitable and PM's all at once. These were awarded on attainment and worn until their death or their jackets gave out, whichever the sooner.

It then became a custom for PM's jewels to be presented and worn until a Provincial or District rank was obtained. But these jewels were kept by the recipient.

Nowadays due to the expense of these jewels they have been returned to the Lodge, when no longer being worn, to be passed onto a new recipient.

I am fortunate to have and wear 3 PM's jewels, 2 of which have been recycled to me from Brethren I knew and respected but are no longer with us. In my current Lodge there is a PM jewel worn by the IPM which is then returned. There is an ongoing discussion as to what a Brother gets after that!

Where a Lodge presents an "IPM" jewel, which is passed on to successors in office, the retiring IPM can always go to a regalia shop and get a PMs jewel for themselves. admittedly, they won't necessarily be the same each year, but so what. They can be had for about £40 upwards and a bit extra for engraving. (Crest who own this site have one at £38.80)

In my Lodge, Kaimanawa 426, the Lodge presents the outgoing Master with a PM's Jewel which is his for ever and it is worn whatever other rank or position he may attain. If he is Master for a second year, he gets another jewel to wear.

My mother Chapter - Walden 1280, recovered 2 founders jewels (1904); one is presented to the MEZ to wear during his year in office, the other to the IPZ to wear for a similar period - in addition to a PZ jewel.
AFA PM jewels; both my lodges present jewels to the IPM to wear for so long as he wishes (or until he achieves Grand Rank). Some wear them after being awarded Provincial rank, others don't - it's entirely a personal decision. I tend not to as 2 PM jewels and a Chapter jewel gets a bit heavy on the pocket and clink a bit when walking round the lodge room - especially with two collars as well! (I've just taken the DC job on again 6 years after relinquishing it - my successor/predecessor fell from a ladder a year ago and is only just starting to walk again).

I was installed two weeks ago as Master, and at the festive board, presented our new IPM with a brand new PM jewel, inscribed with his name and year in office. The secretary has already bought mine, however if I do a second year, when will I get it ?

Bootlebuck1 (27/03/2016)
I was installed two weeks ago as Master, and at the festive board, presented our new IPM with a brand new PM jewel, inscribed with his name and year in office. The secretary has already bought mine, however if I do a second year, when will I get it ?

Hi Allan,
that decision is for your Lodge to make.

There will have been a precedent set in the dim and distant past somewhere, but this is the way it usually goes. If you stay in the Chair for a second year in succession, you will be proclaimed Master in March of 2017. You will not be "Installed" or even "RE-Installed".. as you have not come out of the Chair to be Installed. To be INSTALLED, the Brother has to have come from either no office or an office other than WM.

In March of 2018, your Lodge must have a new Master (unless special dispensation for you to stay in Office is applied for and obtained) whom you will Install. As part of the ceremony, the new Master will invest you as his Immediate Past Master which will THEN qualify you to be be a Past Master because you have been the Master and now have passed on the gavel to another Brother. Depending on how your Lodge does it, you will then receive your Past Masters jewel which you may wear as long as your Lodge regulations allow.

I hope that makes sense.

T.