Sign in to follow this  
willf

The 'Modern Man'

We often hear that we (Freemasonry) need to consider how to attract and retain the ‘modern man’ and that we need to ensure that our Masonic Halls' facilities and standards meet the needs of ‘modern man'.

Who or what is the ‘modern man'?

DavidGoode (17/02/2016)
I'll get us started. Modern man is someone who appreciates free wifi in the bar, though definitely not in the dining room or temple!
Lol.... free wi-fi... sounds about right... but no chance.. nothing is free in "free"masonry!

T.

Good question...Modern man, imho, is a reflection of the society in which we live...fast paced.. little time...superficial..
God, I hope I'm not one. Although I do tend to spend more time on my phone that I'd like to really.

T.

For what it is worth I am not convinced that such a beast really exists outside the minds of advertising/marketing types. I do however fully accept that society has changed over time and that there are differing demands placed on (some) men today.

A link I find amusing (at least in parts).

http://www.qando.net/2015/10/01/the-modern-man-vs-the-real-man/

Throughout time there has always been that ages 'modern man'.

Its the generation who adopt the new changes in social and economic trends.

For instance today's modern man in the home may well do as much housework as their wife/partner. Change nappies etc. Certainly something that my 90 year old Father did not do and was taken aback that I was doing just that 20 years ago! However demands are higher from today's generation, information and results at a touch of a button, job hopping, time poor, money poor, fast paced and particularly the 'me' generation.

However Masonry must look at the type of members it wants as the above does not fit all. After all not everyone who lived through the 60's and 70's was a drug taking nymphomaniac! Which is often the epitaph of that generation.

Some of the above does fit the current working man with regards time and money. In that sense we do need to look at cost and meeting times. Paying £300 for a Lodge Subscription and starting at 3.30 on a weekday may not be suitable to current let alone future masons.

It is interesting that speaking to some of the younger generation who are members it is often the opposite to the 'modern world' which attracts. Almost a throw back to the olden days, the dressing up, with a tie, learning ritual, discipline etc.

So we should be careful that in our striving to attract the 'modern man' we exclude those who are more suited.