Sign in to follow this  
Mike Martin

US Founding Fathers

Sometimes we, due to our pride in Freemasonry, mistakenly repeat old myths about the Craft without realising it. In another topic someone alluded to the large amount of the "Founding Fathers" of the United States of America were Freemasons. So I thought that it might be useful to supply some facts to make sure we don't go down that road too far.

There were 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence, of these 9 were Freemasons

The US Constitution was signed by 39 men of which 13 were Freemasons

Washington's Continental Army had 74 generals and 33 of them were Freemasons.

I'm not sure I follow, the population of the US is three hundred and thirty million and there are about 1.3 million Freemasons there. So it's not that different from here as in England, Scotland and Wales there are about 270,000 Freemasons out of a population of sixty million

Mike Martin (12/12/2011)
Probably of more interest to you willl be the statistic that Canada has approx 86,000 Freemasons out of a population of 42 million
What on earth does the two above stats have to do with the number of Freemasons in the US at the time of the signing of the declaration of Independance?

john1234s (12/12/2011)
What on earth does the two above stats have to do with the number of Freemasons in the US at the time of the signing of the declaration of Independance?
Oops, I misunderstood what you were saying.

There were quite a few Freemasons in the Colonies as many foreign Freemasons went there (from Europe)to seek their fortunes. All of the British Grand Lodge s had provincial Grand Lodges there. Freemasonry spread to the Americas in the same way that it spread to the rest of the world with the British Army and Commerce.

Mike Martin (12/12/2011)
john1234s (12/12/2011)
Oops, I misunderstood what you were saying.

There were quite a few Freemasons in the Colonies as many foreign Freemasons went there (from Europe)to seek their fortunes. All of the British Grand Lodge s had provincial Grand Lodges there. Freemasonry spread to the Americas in the same way that it spread to the rest of the world with the British Army and Commerce.

As it has here in Michigan:

On April 27, 1764, the Provincial Grand Master of the Free and Accepted Masons in New York issued a charter to a Masonic lodge in Detroit. The Royal American Regiment's Lieutenant John Christie was the master of the lodge, Michigan's first. The Detroit Masons first adopted the name Zion Lodge in 1794 when they operated under a new charter from Quebec. With American occupation of Michigan, the lodge again came under the Grand Lodge of New York, which issued a new charter in 1806 to "Zion Lodge No. 1" of Detroit. This name was retained by the Grand Lodge of Michigan when it was formed in 1826. Zion Lodge suspended operations during the War of 1812 and during the anti-Masonic agitation on 1829-1845, but each time its functions were resumed.

Text as written on Michigan Historical Marker.

So in essence no matter how you might look at it the freemasons had a large part in the growth of the USA. It might of seamed to be small amount of numbers but what positions did they hold in the early stages of the forming of the USA. in many documentarys i have watch while trying to find more information in the brotherhood and the history they portray people like Abraham Lincoln and the Kennedys as being masons of the 33rd degree and they held the most amount of power in western world in there hands. It would be interesting to find out who other than Tony Blair is a mason in the British government ....

Primal Soundz to the best of my knowledge I have never heard that the Kennedy's or Tony Blair are or were Masons? I think this is just another conspiracy theory which if you watch too many video's on YouTube you will be told/misinformed.

By the way we do not refer to ourselves as "The Bortherhood" just so you are aware. Stick around here and ask questions and that way we can correct the misconceptions which are out there referring to Freemasonry.

Both the Kennedy's and Blair are Catholics. Plus the conspiracy tinfoilers have it both ways as the Kennedy's were supposedly assassinated in a Masonic plot. JFK was against secret societies and made speeches against them..

The fact is Blair isn't and never has been a Freemason so PS strawman argument is a sure sign of a troll..