Sign in to follow this  
willf

New Breast Jewel and Tie (UGLE)

Rate this topic

In his June 2016 address the Pro Grand Master mentions a new breast jewel based on the Arms of the Grand Lodge and states that it "has been approved by the Grand Master as a permanent jewel to commemorate the Tercentenary of Grand Lodge". However the accompanying picture to the article below does not show the Jewel.

http://www.freemasonrytoday.com/ugle-sgc/ugle/speeches/pro-grand-master-s-address-june-2016

What does it look like?

He also mentions a new craft tie that "incorporates the new version of the square and compasses which has been adopted as our new logo in the run-up to the Tercentenary".

Thanks, I didn't think to look there. I did have a look in the online shop associated with this forum and couldn't see it there.

I think you'll find that the jewels are a Toye exclusive. I'm not sure about the tie. There's an ad in the new Freemasonry Today, but my copy hasn't arrived yet.

One of the advantages of the dress code in Freemasonry is that when I go to Lodge I don't have to look in the wardrobe and wonder "what shall I wear?". I have one tie.
A black one.
It does for Lodge,weddings and funerals and has done so for over 30 years. If I bought one of every tie that I have been "presented with the opportunity to buy" in the time I have been in the Craft I would have to build an extension not just to the wardrobe but probably the house.

willf (10/06/2016)
Is anybody planning to buy the Jewel and/or the tie?

I will not be.

I will certainly not be buying the tie. I thing the new logo is ugly (as opposed to UGLE!) and is not really identifiable to the general public in the way that the old S and Q is.

As for the jewel...welllll if it was COMMISSIONED by UGLE with a charitable donation as part of the purchase price, then I'd happily wear it. However, it looks like just another trinket designed to fill the coffers of T,K and S to me. I notice that the ad in FMT says that Grand Officers are "encouraged" to wear it. I wonder how many will....

T.

If I did but the jewel somebody would come along and say "You can't wear it in front of that jewel, but it can go behind that jewel, certainly not above that one, but it can go beneath that one and that one is no longer worn!

I cannot find any reason to buy an incorrect design. The main part of the design is the armorial bearing of the 200 year old UGLE - but the jewel is supposed to be commemorating the tercentenary of something! What are they thinking?

I will probably buy the jewel, but certainly not the tie! I really don't like the new logo design and will stick to the traditional one.

Where and when will Bro.s be entitled/approved to wear it? In normal open Craft Lodge meetings? In R.A. meetings?
As mentioned earlier there will be endless arguments over how to wear it!

I have bought the Jewel, as for wearing Jewels properly (See my entry on "Show us your jewels") I have always relied on local convention and sourceslike the recent Radcliffe book on masonic etiquette. Common sense and moderation work well for me as I rarely wear all mine together unless specifically requested and even then I I seek a nod of approval from the D.C.

mindmagic (28/06/2016)
The new jewel has arrived. It's huge, so I only have room for that and my RA jewel. My MetGL Founder's jewel has to go. I'll me sticking with the Met tie.

Saw one for the first time yesterday - it certainly is large.

I will certainly be obtaining the new jewel (birthday in August, so that's sorted), but the Grand Lodge tie I own is only about 4 years old, and being that it gets worn only a couple of times per year, I won't get the new one until my current one is retired.

Interesting to note the comments on how many jewels to wear. I have the RA jewel, the Met Founders jewel and in 2018 my mother lodge will be celebrating its centenary, so will have the option of wearing four if I so wish ! !

Think less is more and will rotate them accordingly...

There is clearly size compensation going on somewhere. The 1992 jewel was biiiiig. This one is biiiiig. The new MCF pin is about twice the size is should (IMO) be. Why so?

Not intending to upset London Mason or anyone associated with the new logo (and I'm sure its been done to death already) but some wag created the attached image and sent it to me the other day. I'm not happy with him because now I can't see anything else.
Attached files TouldntResist2.jpg (11.4 KB) 

I just happened this morning to be reading The Secret Tradition in Freemasonry, by AE Waite. At the start of the second chapter of the second book, he said something that actually made me laugh out loud at my desk!

Those who are in search of Reality do not enter strange Paths of Initiation, or even paths of personal research, to arrive after many travellings at some familiar point of knowledge, and admitted canon of criticism or the immemorial antiquity of a few ethical axioms. These things are well enough in their way; but it is not good business to acquire them--perhaps for a hundredth time--at the purchase price of moons or years of labour. Now, it happens too often in certain Secret Societies--and more especially in some Masonic Rites--that they communicate titles of conventional Adeptship; but in place of any Expert Mastery there are offered only the platitudes of the crowd and its spokesmen, with a consolamentum in decorations which lie under the suspicion of manufacture in some figurative Birmingham.

So did I. It's actually quite a nice jewel. I was at 1492 installation last night, where, at FB, the PGM noted that relatively few had worn them in the temple, though they were getting more commonly seen. I felt almost virtuous, having been sporting mine upstairs!

I am having a little trouble understanding the point of such a jewel. A Past Masters Jewel shows the Masonic Community that you are a PM and a RA jewel shows that you are a member whilst a charity jewel shows you have supported the relevant charity,all of them marking a personal acheivment whereas this jewel does not show anything about you apart from the fact that you can afford a jewel. Or am i missing something?