willf

Length of time between Initiation and Raising

Rate this topic

nymaso3 (17/06/2016)
Wow!

I was raised after 3 months, University Scheme :)

Too quick. How could you possibly know enough to be able to pass on any knowledge and experience to younger Brethren? Another reason why I don't like the University scheme. Pack 'em in and roll them out.

Sentience (17/06/2016)
nymaso3 (17/06/2016)
Wow!

I was raised after 3 months, University Scheme :)

Too quick. How could you possibly know enough to be able to pass on any knowledge and experience to younger Brethren? Another reason why I don't like the University scheme. Pack 'em in and roll them out.

I studied a lot and got deep into Freemasonry, and most of all I keep my ears open and my mouth shout. I do what I called "the plant", just stay there, hear and observe what happens. I went far in my life with this method :-)

Although more time is generally better, I met Brethren that are Freemasons from long time with a little knowledge, while I met newly raised Brethren that were really helpful and very knowledgeable.

I think time is a very subjective matter.

I agree with you that the University Scheme is too fast though because the general candidate does not devote too much time and energy to Freemasonry, unfortunately.

I think it was 4 months but the average is around three months around my way. Some lodges meet twice a months which reduces it to a month and a half

Initiated in the January, passed in March, raised in the May (all 1989 - consecutive meetings). Held office of one sort or another ever since. Now back as lodge DC and Provincial Yearbook editor.

November to May for me, 6 months which would seem fairly routine. When I was initiated my Mother Lodge was regularly taking two candidates each year, which worked out very well for the Master to perform at least one ceremony of each degree during his year in office. I am in other Craft Lodges that have less candidates and prefer to spread the degree ceremonies out further.

I personally think that more relevant is how long passes before a new mason is asked to take office. In one of the Lodges I'm a member of, it was normal to have to serve at least three years as a working Steward before being able start on the progression ladder, in order to retain your interest the first thing you were given to learn was the 2nd Degree Board.

These days it seems normal that as soon as you've been raised you might be asked to take any office from IG to SD (and I have even known a new Mason to be JW within two years) as well as being solicited to join HRA or any number of other degrees, all equally eager and pressing for you to take the first step upwards. I wonder how many younger masons have been lost to the Craft because they have felt pressurized into doing more than they were comfortable with.

Two and a half years for me.

I was an EA for 18 months before Passing and then a full year until Raising. In my Lodge we aim for a year between degrees.

I will say that the 18 months I spent as an EA, although it didn't seem like it at the time, was time well spent and, looking back, I would not have it any other way. At the end of that 18 months, I knew the ritual inside out to the point where I didn't need to learn anything (ritual wise) and started to think about it - and this was when I really started to learn.

I know we are all different and that Lodges have their own customs, but I can only recommend that the advancement through the degrees is taken slowly. This is not just so that a new brother becomes familiar with the ritual, but that the ethos of the teachings of each degree, the Lodge and Freemasonry become imbued within him. Of course, this process can take place after a brother is raised in a shorter time frame, but then the sense of achievement of attaining a higher degree is somewhat reduced and the allegory to serving an apprenticeship missed.

In other Orders I have passed through various degrees within months, but none then had the same impact or imparted as much understanding as those first few years in Craft.

Matatu Man (20/06/2016)
Almost three years for me.

Our Grand Lodge stipulates a minimum of fifteen months between degrees.

"Who has made such progress as..... "

I would wholly endorse a strict interval between degrees. Perhaps this would be too long for me.. but I'd say at least 6 months would be acceptable. This would help the candidate, not only understand the technical bits of the ritual, but would go some way towards helping him to understand it too.

T.

When I was initiated I had a three year wait from interview to Initiation. Lodge practice then was to do a 1st in December, a 2nd in February and a 3rd In April with Installation at the 4th Meeting in October. So it ended up being a year plus one meeting between degrees so overall just under 2 and a half years from Initiation to Raising for me. I was not permanently damaged by the experience.

Sparker (22/08/2016)I would wholly endorse a strict interval between degrees. Perhaps this would be too long for me.. but I'd say at least 6 months would be acceptable.

This was exactly the case for me, but while I gained from the period between Initiation and Passing, most of the period between my Passing and my Raising was the Summer recess... I attended one meeting as a FC (and sat out for most of it, as it was also a Raising)!

If for no other reason than it means I no longer have to spend time outside the Lodge (the Installation excepted) then I am quite pleased that this second phase was so short!

Not quite so Uninitiated (24/08/2016)
Sparker (22/08/2016)I would wholly endorse a strict interval between degrees. Perhaps this would be too long for me.. but I'd say at least 6 months would be acceptable.

This was exactly the case for me, but while I gained from the period between Initiation and Passing, most of the period between my Passing and my Raising was the Summer recess... I attended one meeting as a FC (and sat out for most of it, as it was also a Raising)!

If for no other reason than it means I no longer have to spend time outside the Lodge (the Installation excepted) then I am quite pleased that this second phase was so short!

Good point. In that case, it may be better to count the number of meetings rather than a time scale. My own Lodge meets monthly but I know some (esp in the USA) meet weekly. So for us, I would advocate 6 meetings.. and for those Lodge that meet weekly, around 24 meetings.

T.

Good point. In that case, it may be better to count the number of meetings rather than a time scale. My own Lodge meets monthly but I know some (esp in the USA) meet weekly. So for us, I would advocate 6 meetings.. and for those Lodge that meet weekly, around 24 meetings.

Quote correction

T.

An Order I was a member of in Belgium worked this way. One had to attend a minimum of six meetings to advance between degrees but it didn't matter how long this took. Bearing in mind they only met twice per year, it is a minimum of three years between degrees anyway!

Initiated 14th January 2010, passed on the 11th February 2010, raised on the 11th March 2010. Started attending LOI (of my own freewill) 23rd March 2010.

I did have to wait 7 months from interview to initiation, though.

Whilst I can see the argument that you're still learning and perhaps should have a gap during your early months, I've always been a dive right in kind of guy, so preferred this approach for me. We do now tend to spread them out a little, but this is due to the lack of new candidates as much as anything.

My Lodge meets only four times a year of which one meeting is the Installation but I strongly advocate one meeting between each Degree. Unfortunately this never happens as the general consensus is that this would leave the Lodge with no work to do.

I have to admit I have never heard any Master Mason complaining that it took over a year to go from Initiate to Master Mason.

I also wish we worked the system where candidates actually showed proficiency much the same as that in some US Lodges where they have to answer questions from the lectures as well as recite their obligation again in full, not like we sometimes see where the Deacon prompts them at every work of the half dozen questions.

RWR97 and Ozymandius point up the current attitude of many lodges that without a candidate, there's nothing worth doing. Not their fault that their lodges think that way - it seems to come down from GL. There is so much else to do! For a start, members can hold led discussions about what the Craft is trying to teach us; the what, why and wherefore of Freemasonry. I'm not specifically advocating 'lectures' or 'talks', because they depend so much on the presentation qualities of the speakers but I am advocating getting to know why we do things as we do, where they came from, where they lead and why. There are many good and well researched books and papers on almost every aspect of Freemasonry, so there's no reason not to hold fascinating discussions (and they are!) on any masonic-related subject.

RWR97 (06/03/2017)
Initiated 14th January 2010, passed on the 11th February 2010, raised on the 11th March 2010. Started attending LOI (of my own freewill) 23rd March 2010.

I did have to wait 7 months from interview to initiation, though.

Whilst I can see the argument that you're still learning and perhaps should have a gap during your early months, I've always been a dive right in kind of guy, so preferred this approach for me. We do now tend to spread them out a little, but this is due to the lack of new candidates as much as anything.

Shouldn't there be a full 28 days between degrees? It may be just for Initiation to Passing, but I thought it applied to all degrees. If you were passed on Feb 11th and raised on March 11th, that wouldn't be the full 28 days.