Sign in to follow this  
Mike Martin

Inside the Freemasons - Sky1

There was a camera crew mooching around in Freemasons' Hall earlier this year which, of course, is not unusual bearing in mind how many films and events happen using FMH as the location.

However, this time the cameras were pointed at us and the Staff.

FYI,

Dr Andy Green, of this parish, is one of the stars of this series.

Knowing him for nearly 30 years, I have every confidence that he will represent the Craft admirably.

Mike Martin (15/10/2016)
There was a camera crew mooching around in Freemasons' Hall earlier this year which, of course, is not unusual bearing in mind how many films and events happen using FMH as the location.

However, this time the cameras were pointed at us and the Staff.

Full story here:
http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/international/mipcom-2016/hot-picks-inside-the-freemasons/5110366.article

Sounds like a great idea, 300 years and now we're open to the public.

There has been some discussion of this at recent lodge meetings, with some people suggesting that signs will be shown (!) Does anyone have any insight as to the extent of the disclosures that will actually be included?

I appreciate that there may be NDAs in place for those involved whilst the production company is trying to flog the series, but interested in any further info that can be published.

UGLE has circulated an instruction to all Lodges that this is not to be regarded as any kind of precedent. I must say, though, that Grand Lodge is not like particular Lodges; there is no esoteric work except during the opening and closing. Apart from that, it's much like a parliamentary session.

I think the alarm may have been triggered by the advertising hyperbole on Sky's website. There is reference to the working tools, so some parts of the ritual appear to have been disclosed. The obligation refers to the "mysteries" as well as the "secrets".

Are Quarterly Comms really comparable to a normal session in the Commons? I suspect that there may be some differences...

The Pro is already on record as saying that there are elements in the series which are going to have crusty old curmudgeons like me rotating prematurely in the ground. I'm reserving judgement until I see it but I don't have Sky and no intention of signing up for it just for this.

Timwf (21/10/2016)
There is reference to the working tools, so some parts of the ritual appear to have been disclosed.

All of our ritual is available - has been for centuries - anyone can buy a book from TKS or Central regalia

bod (24/10/2016)
Timwf (21/10/2016)
There is reference to the working tools, so some parts of the ritual appear to have been disclosed.

All of our ritual is available - has been for centuries - anyone can buy a book from TKS or Central regalia

... or find it on the WWW, complete with all the words that are left out of the printed books.

Timwf (21/10/2016)

Are Quarterly Comms really comparable to a normal session in the Commons? I suspect that there may be some differences...

From what I've seen there, resolutions are put, perhaps briefly debated or at least explained and then voted upon. A short paper of some general interest might be delivered and that's about it. So, not that unlike a parliamentary or council meeting session but in fancy dress.

Hello David,

I asked a similar question and was told that the series would be available on DVD. However that would normally be after the last prog in the series has been broadcast.

Another option would be to "presuade" a Bro. who has a Sky sub to host a viewing. Of course persauding his "other half" to go along with the idea might make the DVD option more attractive ;-)

Eng.

Thanks for the suggestions.

If Grand Lodge really wanted to reach the most people with this, would they not have given it to the BBC to broadcast 'free to watch'? Or am I just hopelessly out of touch (well, not that out of touch as I have Freesat) and most people have Sky?

Most TV production these days is done by independent companies and then pitched to the networks - Sky have been told they have to create more content rather than buying it off the shelf

Very excited to officially announce that the first episode of the forthcoming Sky 1 documentary series ‘Inside the Freemasons’ will air on the 17th April at 8pm.

Emporium Productions, who were commissioned by Sky to produce the series, have this to say on their website: "Welcome to one of the oldest social networking organisations in the world; a fraternal order that welcomes members regardless of their status, creed or political persuasion – #Freemasonry.

"With unique and u...nprecedented access to the Freemasons, ‘Inside the Freemasons’ asks who are Freemasons and what do they do? As the United Grand Lodge of England celebrates its tercentenary in 2017, we go beyond the myth and legend to discover what it means to be a Freemason today through the words and lives of Freemasons themselves.

"While most of us are familiar with the concept of Freemasons, few can describe who they are and what they do with any confidence or accuracy. What has motivated generations of men to join its ranks? What does the symbolism mean? How does public perception differ to reality? And what does Freemasonry have to offer men and society in the 21st Century?"

I think they've visited every single Province, judging by the web pages stating the camera team visited to film for the upcoming documentary. I certainly know, my own Province had them in attendance. No doubt the majority of these will all be a blink and you'll miss it moment.

DavidGoode (22/12/2016)
Thanks for the suggestions.

If Grand Lodge really wanted to reach the most people with this, would they not have given it to the BBC to broadcast 'free to watch'? Or am I just hopelessly out of touch (well, not that out of touch as I have Freesat) and most people have Sky?

Oops, I missed this at the time. Just to clarify this is not a Grand Lodge production and GL has no control over its distribution. GL was approached by a company that wanted to make the documentary and GL agreed to let them have access in order to do so.