Sign in to follow this  
Mike Martin

Inside the Freemasons - Sky1

mindmagic (25/02/2017)
Sentience (25/02/2017)
Sky 1 I'm sure is a free to view channel anyway.

Sky 1 is only available on Sky, TalkTalk and Virgin. It's not on any free service.

Well the answer to that is to download Mobdro to a PC, Firestick, Android box or smart TV for free and watch it there.

It's also available on Now TV

I'm sure that nobody would encourage copyright theft or obtaining content illegally in this forum....

Part of the filming took place during the Consecration of The Football Lodge No. 9921. UGLE gave permission for a small (a VERY small) amount of filming during the Ceremony. I think that this programme is likely to open a great many eyes as to what we are all about. I sincerely believe that the programme will show us in a very favourable light.

Essex are consecrating a rugby lodge - Lodge of XV.. I have it on good authority that the first initiate is a very well known former England international.

Sontaran (12/04/2017)
Essex are consecrating a rugby lodge - Lodge of XV.. I have it on good authority that the first initiate is a very well known former England international.

But the point is, will he make a good freemason? The external advantages don't count within the lodge.

Sontaran (13/04/2017)
Obviously only time will tell on that one.

Of course. But what I was getting at was what the lodge selection committee was seeing. Were they seeing someone 'famous' perhaps to boost their numbers or were they seeing someone with the potential of becoming a good freemason?

Ah I see. No, I don't think so. The Founding Master is in a position (from his job in the RFU setup) to know the individual personally - very well I suspect!
(I'm not mentioning names obviously!)

And FWIW, I'm actually eligible to become a joining member of both the football and rugby lodges(!) I was a football referee and am currently the youth membership secretary of the local rugby club (the first team plays in the national leagues). I'm thinking about the latter, but the former is too far away.

Sontaran (13/04/2017)
Ah I see. No, I don't think so. The Founding Master is in a position (from his job in the RFU setup) to know the individual personally - very well I suspect!
(I'm not mentioning names obviously!)

And FWIW, I'm actually eligible to become a joining member of both the football and rugby lodges(!) I was a football referee and am currently the youth membership secretary of the local rugby club (the first team plays in the national leagues). I'm thinking about the latter, but the former is too far away.

I understand (I think fairly completely) what you are saying and I'm sorry to be 'dribbling' the ball, so to speak, but from what you say it might appear that the founding master is running the show with the rest as camp followers (that's a lot of metaphors!). If he is currently the master and thereby ex-officio chairman of the selection committee, he would normally stand aloof from all but procedural matters, seeing that fair play is observed. Just as you would as a referee. If he is not the chairman but just the proposer, then that raises a more general question over the wisdom or otherwise of allowing proposers to be present during candidate interviews.

The trouble is, I see quite a bit of 'herd behaviour' happening which can quite easily result in accepting people as members for the wrong reasons. I have for a long time supported the use of the ballot box in committee to enable each brother to vote with his heart.

Whether any of this is happening in this case, I cannot of course know and I hope not but I'm sure you can see the potential for missteps. Dr Oliver's famous dictum comes to mind.

All fair points - except for the fact that the lodge has yet to be consecrated and therefore the (to-be) Founding Master is, at the moment, just one of the petitioners. He just happens to be the one formally proposing. Knowing who the individuals are and what their roles in the RFU are, I doubt very much he is the only one who knows the prospective candidate.

Mike Martin (15/10/2016)
There was a camera crew mooching around in Freemasons' Hall earlier this year which, of course, is not unusual bearing in mind how many films and events happen using FMH as the location.

However, this time the cameras were pointed at us and the Staff.

Full story here:
http://www.broadcastnow.co.uk/international/mipcom-2016/hot-picks-inside-the-freemasons/5110366.article

Well, either last night's prog was so shocking as to render you all struck dumb or so tedious as not to be worth commenting upon. Anyone care to put the non subscribers among us out of our misery :D:D:D

Eng.

I am still undecided on whether this is good for the Craft or not.

Firstly it must be mentioned again that this program was not commissioned by UGLE but by an outside company who were looking to expose our "Dirty secrets" (and have gone on record to say they are pleasantly surprised albeit in a condescending manner).

It started off with the comment "Freemasonry was started in England 300 years ago". We know that is not true but I can already hear the complaints from north of the border.

There were no interviews but several masons talking directly about the Craft including Rick Wakeman, The Pro Grand Master, and several brethren wearing light blue which showed a good mix of ethnicities and ages.

They showed parts of some ceremonies - The Grand or Royal Sign, the sign of fidelity and the first degree sign, but without drawing attention to them.

Also shown was a Festive Board with Fire and toasts, the Installation obligation of the PGM of Berkshire (or it might have been Bedfordshire) and a significant portion of the Charge after Installation.

The main players were the afore mentioned PGM showing him preparing for his Installation, a Lewis being initiated into his fathers Lodge, and a SW (and later WM) as he learnt the Charge (with his girlfriend prompting him from his ritual book).

The comments I have received at work range from "I saw that program last night, it was really interesting" to "Do you have one of those fancy pinny's".

Hmm. We are obviously not the target audience but I was expecting some sort of reaction in the office but nothing. Not sure that is good really as it implies no one saw it or at least didn't consider it worthy of comment let alone the opportunity of a wind-up, not normally to be missed :D I thought at first that it was up against Broadchurch but I see that started after Sky's prog had finished. Hopefully the subsequent programs will be more thought provoking.

Eng.

Ozymandius (19/04/2017)
There were no interviews but several masons talking directly about the Craft including Rick Wakeman, The Pro Grand Master, and several brethren wearing light blue which showed a good mix of ethnicities and ages.

One of them was also an erstwhile member of this very Forum "Vastaman" aka Vas Blackwood aka the Bla'ack Sha, a, dow (Only Fools & Horses) :)

The program was, in my opinion, good.It must be remembered that we are not the target audience, but we are undoubtedly a large part of the actual audience.

Vas spoke well, the younger guys who were shown presented their views of masonry well and the installation of the new PGM was good to see - he also came across as a genuine, down to earth man

There was nothing shown that I thought was a problem

Looking forward to seeing the other episodes

Incidentally, after watching this I would just like to ask;

How many others enlist the help of their significant others when learning ritual?

Its something I have never done but now realize I may have been restricting myself.