Sign in to follow this  
james drury

research help

Rate this topic

hi all
just wondering if anyone could shed light on some research i am completing

my GGGrandfather joined the Freemasons in 1865 in Meerut India. He was in the military at that point in the Rifle brigade.

on his registration it has the letters DGLC No96 after his name and i was wondering what this stood for.

also if anyone had any tips or pointers for researching this lodge at this time they would be gratefully received

many thanks in advance for your time and assistance

James

norwichman (25/02/2017)
I would think it is The District Grand Lodge of Calcutta, good luck with your research

Yes, I did think that, but as Kolkata is spelled with a 'K' there, I assumed that would be DGLK.

Sentience (26/02/2017)
norwichman (25/02/2017)
I would think it is The District Grand Lodge of Calcutta, good luck with your research

Yes, I did think that, but as Kolkata is spelled with a 'K' there, I assumed that would be DGLK.

Hi Sentience, yes you are correct but Lodges formed under The Empire tended to use English spellings, I had another friend who belonged to an Indian Lodge that used The English spelling. When India gained Independence a lot of Lodges moved back to The UK keeping the name and sometimes number but others were given new numbers. I believe The District was named using the English spelling

Indeed, it is only in the most recent few years that Calcutta changed its name the 'K' version, following Bombay's change to Mumbai and Madras' change to Chennai.

I still know many Indians who still use Bombay and Madras rather than the new (old?) versions.

Bit like Burma/Myanmar!

Matatu Man (28/02/2017)
Indeed, it is only in the most recent few years that Calcutta changed its name the 'K' version, following Bombay's change to Mumbai and Madras' change to Chennai.

I still know many Indians who still use Bombay and Madras rather than the new (old?) versions.

Bit like Burma/Myanmar!

And Iceland used to be called Bejam!:Whistling: