Sign in to follow this  
PM George

Assistance Required

Hi Chaps,

My Father in law is in the process of making a lectern for our Lodge and he would like to put a square and compasses on the front of it.

I'm trying to find one about 3-4 inches either brass or chrome (you get the picture - some shiny metal)

If anyone has any ideas where I might find one that would be most appreciated.

George

Thanks Guys,

The horse brasses will be no use - I've already looked at those. He just wants a plain S. and C. without all the extra bits round it. If they were to be removed the emblem would be too small.

Something like the car badge would be great, but again it's too small at only two inches. I'll keep looking. Something about four inches or bigger.

There must be something out there on t'internet.

sojourner (21/03/2017)
I would respectfully suggest something like a car badge. More common in the US and a number available on ebay such as : -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mason-Symbol-Die-Cut-Car-Badge-Gold-2-/371712286854?hash=item568bc76086:g:~H0AAOSwU-pXs8Ca

No good for England, since the Americans have a 'G' in the middle and we don't.

Ask at your local school or technical college if they could produce one for you and pay for there services. Gives the students a chance to show what they can do.

Trouillogan (21/03/2017)

I noted the Lodges which the original post referred to as being under the Scottish Constitution. And they do have the letter "G" on the Square and Compasses. I therefore thought my suggestion may be appropriate.

The suggestion of a local technical college isn't a bad idea.

We don't have a local technical college, but what we do have is a shipyard, and one of our members works there.

The perfect opportunity for him to demonstrate his metal-working skills.

Thanks chaps.

sojourner (22/03/2017)
Trouillogan (21/03/2017)

I noted the Lodges which the original post referred to as being under the Scottish Constitution. And they do have the letter "G" on the Square and Compasses. I therefore thought my suggestion may be appropriate.

Sorry, I missed that and of course both Scottish and Irish constitutions incorporate the 'G'.

PM George (22/03/2017)
The suggestion of a local technical college isn't a bad idea.

We don't have a local technical college, but what we do have is a shipyard, and one of our members works there.

The perfect opportunity for him to demonstrate his metal-working skills.

Thanks chaps.

What about actual S&Cs fixed to the lectern ?

Eng.

Try an undertaker! I went to a brother's funeral yesterday and the S&C on the ends of the coffin would seem to be about the right size for a lectern. Mind you, it might be made of plastic but it could be worth asking, as it might also be available in metal. There are, of course, suppliers of items for funeral directors; here are some from Google:

http://www.funeral-supplies.co.uk/coffins-and-caskets/coffin-fittings.html
http://www.coffinfurniture.eu/index.php/explore/metal-ornaments-and-crucifixes.html

If you put 'coffin fittings' into Google images, you might find a supplier.