I am trying to determine who Adoniram was.

Without going into detail this individual first appears, to the best of my knowledge,  during the Craft Installation ceremony. He also features in the opening and closing of the Mark Degree and in the Mark Installation ceremony.

Biblical references point out to him being either over the tribute (tax collectors)  or over the levy (forced labour). Another source refers to him as the person that succeeded HA as Chief Architect of the Temple.

In addition Mackay describes him as being the chief overseer of the 30,000 hewers who were sent to cut timber in the forests of Lebanon. This ties in with him being over the levy.

Any ideas/pointers?

In some spellings it is Adonhiram.  This can be translated as Lord Hiram.

If Hiram  has the same root as Heru, Hermes, Hera and Hercules, then it is yet another hero name and not a personal name.  Hence 2 Hirams in Masonry.

Edited by Omar31

Adoniram, who had been an officer of King David in charge of labour gangs, continued under Kind Solomon and was placed in charge of the working gangs working in Lebanon. King Solomon also employed 70,000 burden bearers and 80,000 hewers of stone in the hill country, as well as 3,300 officers in charge of the men carrying out the work.

(Some thirty years after the completion of the temple, when Rehoboam sent Adoniram to enforce the collection of taxes, the frustrated masses rebelled and stoned Adoniram to death.)

Adoniram, the son of Abda, was the tax collector in the United Kingdom of Israel for over forty years, from the late years of King David's reign until the reign of Rehoboam. Wikipedia

Regrettably there is no evidence of KST anywhere in Israel.  I might conclude that that accounts of KST are late inventions for religious and political purposes.

I am attaching two pictures from An Encyclopedia of Cryptic Masonry that I ordered from the General Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons International.  This is from the American ritual point of view and your experiences may vary.

IMG_20180309_023322144.jpg

IMG_20180309_023425241.jpg

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:11 AM, willf said:

I am trying to determine who Adoniram was.

I think the difficulty that you're going to face is that the "source" material (the Old Testament) for this Masonic character doesn't actually give much information about him other than what has already been mentioned. What complicates it further Freemasonry takes him and seems to give him a "job" which is at odds with that information. 

• Like 1

The fundamental problem is that the early books of the Old Testament are derived from Egyptian texts, via Moses and from Sumerian texts via Abraham.   Derivative traditions are, by their nature, modified to serve the needs of the new owners

On 3/9/2018 at 9:06 AM, mindmagic said:

Mike Neville, in his very useful book Sacred Secrets, says that he also appears in the OT under the names Adoram and Hadoram.

Thanks. I also have other references to this.

On 3/9/2018 at 7:41 AM, goomba said:

I am attaching two pictures from An Encyclopedia of Cryptic Masonry that I ordered from the General Grand Chapter of Royal Arch Masons International.  This is from the American ritual point of view and your experiences may vary.

IMG_20180309_023322144.jpg

IMG_20180309_023425241.jpg

Many thanks.

On 3/9/2018 at 9:01 AM, Mike Martin said:

I think the difficulty that you're going to face is that the "source" material (the Old Testament) for this Masonic character doesn't actually give much information about him other than what has already been mentioned. What complicates it further Freemasonry takes him and seems to give him a "job" which is at odds with that information. 

It is this complication that is the problem - at least for me.

There is a view, Willf, that the ritual compilers, having discarded Noah for the time being, needed someone to use but about whom nothing much was given in the Book, so as to avoid too much controversy.  He's mentioned and could be one or more of several people with little known about any of them.  So his/their 'profile' would suitable for 'traditional' legend building.

On 11/03/2018 at 4:31 PM, Trouillogan said:

There is a view, Willf, that the ritual compilers, having discarded Noah for the time being, needed someone to use but about whom nothing much was given in the Book, so as to avoid too much controversy.  He's mentioned and could be one or more of several people with little known about any of them.  So his/their 'profile' would suitable for 'traditional' legend building.

Thanks for that. What I am particularly trying to determine is why he is of such prominence especially in the Mark Degree when the Lodge is opened in his name rather than the GAOTU.

1 hour ago, willf said:

Thanks for that. What I particularly trying to determine is why he is of such prominence especially in the Mark Degree when the Lodge is opened in his name rather than the GAOTU.

There's a fair bit about about him in Neville Cryer's The Arch and the Rainbow, implying a very early involvement of Adoniram (under a variety of names) in the questioning of journeyman operative stonemasons (steinmetzen) in Germany during the 14th and 15th centuries.  He keeps popping up throughout the developmental period, so you need to read much of the book in order to find answers to your question.

20 hours ago, Trouillogan said:

There's a fair bit about about him in Neville Cryer's The Arch and the Rainbow, implying a very early involvement of Adoniram (under a variety of names) in the questioning of journeyman operative stonemasons (steinmetzen) in Germany during the 14th and 15th centuries.  He keeps popping up throughout the developmental period, so you need to read much of the book in order to find answers to your question.

Thanks - another book to try and acquire :).