C.J.A.

Prince Charles

Will he when the time comes (hopefully not soon) be initiated in to the mysteries of Freemasonry and become the GMM of the UGLE when he becomes King? Will he be the first king in a few hundred years not to have been in the craft? 

I think it is highly unlikely that Prince Charles will ever join Freemasonry especially because of his age (his Father and the Kent brothers all joined in their early 30s) and because his childhood hero Lord Mountbatten really didn't like Freemasonry and I think that has rubbed off on him.

Oops forgot to say that although the Grand Masters of UGLE have been members of the Royal Family only a few were actually King: 

I still hold out hope that Harry might take an interest in Freemasonry, i think he would be perfect for English Freemasonry in the 21st Century.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Mike Martin said:

I think it is highly unlikely that Prince Charles will ever join Freemasonry especially because of his age (his Father and the Kent brothers all joined in their early 30s) and because his childhood hero Lord Mountbatten really didn't like Freemasonry and I think that has rubbed off on him.

Oops forgot to say that although the Grand Masters of UGLE have been members of the Royal Family only a few were actually King: 

I still hold out hope that Harry might take an interest in Freemasonry, i think he would be perfect for English Freemasonry in the 21st Century.

Ah yes that’s right, I had forgotten about Mountbatten’s dislike for Freemasonry. 

Prince Harry would be good I’m sure of that! 

11 hours ago, mindmagic said:

Edward VII resigned as GM when he became king, so it's unlikely that we'll have any reigning monarch.

They are required to give up when they take the throne (thought that was generally known, but maybe not).

10 hours ago, Sontaran said:

They are required to give up when they take the throne (thought that was generally known, but maybe not).

I wasn’t aware of that. I am now. I didn’t realise that is why the UGLE have a Pro Grand Master also as the GM has his duties as a Royal first and foremost. 

Yup. If you go back to the previous GM, (and I stand to be corrected), as he didn't have royal duties, he didn't have a ProGM. Which is why the Province of Middlesex does have a ProProvGM, as the ProvGM is Prince Michael of Kent. 

EDIT: Auto-bloody-correct!!

Edited by Sontaran

2 hours ago, Sontaran said:

Yup. If you go back to the previous GM, (and I stand to be corrected), as he didn't have royal duties, he didn't have a ProGM. Which is why the Province of Middlesbrough does have a ProProvGM, as the ProvGM is Prince Michael of Kent. 

Oops typo there, you meant PGL of Middlesex :)

Damn you auto correct......

Got me on a text last week and changed 'customer' to 'custard' - fortunately it was taken in good humour.....

• Sad 1

I’m not sure at all how the craft are going forward with Royal input within Freemasonry.....I don’t see Prince Harry being interested in Masonry....... I don’t get that from him...... I don’t think he actually likes pomp and ceremony...... although he attends, I get the impression he takes after his mum, that said if he was interested he is the ideal man. So if Harry isn’t going to join us ...... I don’t see it being William..... and after him we are getting a bit removed from the line. Modern Royals seem to have their own lives...... it’s whether they can fit it in ..... difficult to say really