Sign in to follow this  
C.J.A.

I think it’s time. (Royal Arch)

It has intrigued me for years now and I think I’m ready to make the move. I feel comfortable with all the going’s on in the lodge room and feel like I have a good understanding of everything. The only thing is, I have only just affiliated to another lodge (which I should have done years ago when I first moved) and don’t want to enquire about the RA too soon with them. Does anybody think if I ask about it, the brethren would mind since I’m so new within the lodge?

Edited by C.J.A.

Nope. If they were happy enough to accept you as a joining member, why should they be bothered about proposing you into RA?

I remember when I became a joining member of RA in my native Province - my mother chapter is in the neighboring Province of Essex.  When I just expressed an interest in joining a chapter in Cambridgeshire, my late father's chapter and the one I eventually joined were arguing the toss over which one I should join - and when the members of the one I DID join discovered I'd applied (by the then Treasurer proposing, and the Z seconding), they were like "excellent; fantastic news" and so on.

So, if you want to join RA - and I can thoroughly recommend it.  And before anyone says anything, I can also recommend Mark.  FWIW, if you're planning on going through the Craft chair (a great experience btw), consider joining Mark before you do (even if you've joined Chapter) as there will be an 'Oh!" moment that can make things a bit clearer.

My advice?  Join Mark and Chapter - doesn't matter which way round, and consider going through the chair in Craft, Chapter and Mark; the three fit nicely together and give a good rounded picture with each answering some seeming anomalies in each - you'll see what I mean if you do.

Working on the assumption that you follow my advice, as far as floor/officers work is concerned, if you feel you can handle it, start working towards the Craft chair first.  When you get to about SD, consider starting on the Mark, closely followed by Chapter so that when you've done the Craft chair you go through the Mark chair a couple of years later and then the Chapter chair a year or two after that.  Doing them like that a) answers a few questions/oddities that crop up as you do each chair, and b) you don't lose the habit of learning.  If you leave it too long to join or go on the floor, you can lose the 'learning habit' and it can take time to get back into it.

• Like 2

I would add that my father and I shared the same mother Chapter, but he became a founder of a Newmarket Chapter and I joined in Cambridge. I did that so I could invite him as my guest and I went to his Newmarket Chapter as his guest. (Newmarket, although in the county of Suffolk, is in the Province of Cambridgeshire).

Interestingly, my father was a founder, but wasn't on the warrant as such. He'd paid all the founders fees, but when they sent the form in the founding scribe forgot to put his name on it.  When the Warrant came back without his name, they realised what had happened and offered to refund all his contributions but he refused.  What they did therefore, was to elect him as the first joining member without a ballot and without requiring him to retire.  So he became a founder in all but name.

Edited by Sontaran
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sontaran said:

Nope. If they were happy enough to accept you as a joining member, why should they be bothered about proposing you into RA?

I remember when I became a joining member of RA in my native Province - my mother chapter is in the neighboring Province of Essex.  When I just expressed an interest in joining a chapter in Cambridgeshire, my late father's chapter and the one I eventually joined were arguing the toss over which one I should join - and when the members of the one I DID join discovered I'd applied (by the then Treasurer proposing, and the Z seconding), they were like "excellent; fantastic news" and so on.

So, if you want to join RA - and I can thoroughly recommend it.  And before anyone says anything, I can also recommend Mark.  FWIW, if you're planning on going through the Craft chair (a great experience btw), consider joining Mark before you do (even if you've joined Chapter) as there will be an 'Oh!" moment that can make things a bit clearer.

My advice?  Join Mark and Chapter - doesn't matter which way round, and consider going through the chair in Craft, Chapter and Mark; the three fit nicely together and give a good rounded picture with each answering some seeming anomalies in each - you'll see what I mean if you do.

Working on the assumption that you follow my advice, as far as floor/officers work is concerned, if you feel you can handle it, start working towards the Craft chair first.  When you get to about SD, consider starting on the Mark, closely followed by Chapter so that when you've done the Craft chair you go through the Mark chair a couple of years later and then the Chapter chair a year or two after that.  Doing them like that a) answers a few questions/oddities that crop up as you do each chair, and b) you don't lose the habit of learning.  If you leave it too long to join or go on the floor, you can lose the 'learning habit' and it can take time to get back into it.

I’m in Scotland Sontaran so I already have my Mark which was done in my mother lodge. It wasn’t so much of, If I think they won’t want to propose me. It was more of, if it was too early to ask, as I’ve only been a member for a couple of months but have been attending as a visitor for quite a while. 

Thats a great story regarding your father. Bit disappointing for him I’m sure but, it all turned out good in the end. 

Thanks for your reply. 

Things are a bit different in Scotland. The Royal Arch does not have the close relationship with the Craft that it enjoys under the English Constitution. For example in England the Royal Arch Companions will wear their Chapter jewel at Craft meetings (which they don't in Scotland) and progression from Craft to Royal Arch is seen as a natural and desirable progression. A majority of a Craft Lodge will also be Royal Arch members.

In Scotland however fewer members of a Craft Lodge will have joined Chapter and it is not always easy to know who is in Royal Arch to make an approach and enquiry easier. I can assure you that a Royal Arch Chapter will be very happy to see you and assist your application.

S&f,

Roy  (Past 1st Principal, Josiah RAC No. 26, Province of Galloway, Scottish Constitution.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sojourner said:

Things are a bit different in Scotland. The Royal Arch does not have the close relationship with the Craft that it enjoys under the English Constitution. For example in England the Royal Arch Companions will wear their Chapter jewel at Craft meetings (which they don't in Scotland) and progression from Craft to Royal Arch is seen as a natural and desirable progression. A majority of a Craft Lodge will also be Royal Arch members.

In Scotland however fewer members of a Craft Lodge will have joined Chapter and it is not always easy to know who is in Royal Arch to make an approach and enquiry easier. I can assure you that a Royal Arch Chapter will be very happy to see you and assist your application.

S&f,

Roy  (Past 1st Principal, Josiah RAC No. 26, Province of Galloway, Scottish Constitution.)

Thanks for the post. I know the Secretary is a member and get on quite well with him. So I’ll just ask. I can’t see any problems really, just wasn’t sure if there was a time frame etiquette when affiliating before you could ask. Looking forward to the journey. 

3 hours ago, C.J.A. said:

Thanks for the post. I know the Secretary is a member and get on quite well with him. So I’ll just ask. I can’t see any problems really, just wasn’t sure if there was a time frame etiquette when affiliating before you could ask. Looking forward to the journey. 

No time frame involved other than your own interest, inclination and readiness to move on. If you have been a Mason for a number of years, your more recent affiliation to a new Lodge is irrelevant in your readiness to apply to join Royal Arch. If there is anything I can advise on or assist with, please feel free to contact me by PM.

• Like 1