I've searched and even read Mackey's but I can not find information on a lodge demitting from a grand lodge. However, I have heard the procedure is to return the charter with a letter to the Grand secretary. Any advice or other factual information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. 

It might depend upon whether the lodge is to continue either under another GL or as independent.

As it happens one of my lodges was originally chartered by the GL of Scotland but later joined the state GL.  So the lodge hangs both charters on the wall.

Remember that books by either Albert Mackey or Albert Pike are each only one American person's opinions and therefore not a sure guide in any sense.

Your question inherently touches upon the subject of Grand Lodge recognition.  In brief, this covers recognition of other Grand Lodges by each other and by the 'home' Grand Lodges of England, Ireland and Scotland, which have an agreement of eight articles under which other Grand Lodges are recognised and which subscribe fully to the 'Aims and Relationships of the Craft'.

Although there are Grand Lodges and Orients that operate outside these inter-jurisdictional agreements, inter-communications and inter-visitations are severely limited.

So, be careful what you wish for!

This is a situation in the United States. This question is not about recognition but rather a group of brothers who no longer want to be a part of a group of men who are crooked, stagnant, and show no desire to be better men or to enhance the character of those around them. 

1 hour ago, MyBrothersKeeper said:

This is a situation in the United States. This question is not about recognition but rather a group of brothers who no longer want to be a part of a group of men who are crooked, stagnant, and show no desire to be better men or to enhance the character of those around them. 

I understand your immediate concern but my point about recognition is that if you affiliate to work under another Grand Lodge then you'd better make sure it is one that is widely recognised, otherwise you and your brethren will find yourselves unable to associate masonically with brethren under other Grand Lodges.  I would also posit that you would be more likely to find men of the sort you seek within a recognised jurisdiction, than in unrecognised ones.

• Like 1

I'm curious; if we're talking about the US, I assume you're thinking of leaving a 'mainstream' GL and moving to a PHGL or the other way round...? - and not moving from (eg) one mainstream to another?  And moving AS A LODGE rather than just as individuals?

Assuming that's correct, you'd first need to check that the 'receiving' GL is willing to take you .. and if we ARE talking about moving to a PHGL, you might want to check if there is mutual recognition .. if there is, you might well find they won't accept you as it could cause some major issues between the Grand Lodges.

If you're talking about moving from one mainstream to another - or PH to PH, then I think it unlikely due to territorial issues and state borders.

Trouilligan and Sontaran have raised exactly the issues this raised for me. Although we're all in the UK and can't actually advise you I think it would be nice to have a better idea of what you're actually proposing.

I remember an American  Lodge handing its Warrant back to its Grand Lodge in order to go it alone a few years ago and that didn't end too well as no one wanted to interact with it except the Grand Orient of the United States which I think has also crumbled nowadays. 

I have had the sad experience in my short Masonic 'career'. Basically it is not much more than sending a letter to the Grand Lodge and then follows some administration, returning the charter and possessions of the Grand Lodge (aprons, cordons/sashes, etc.). At least, that's how it went in the GL where I'm still member, but my mother lodge isn't. A lodge is an organisation of its own that makes its own decisions. 

As already intimated, a regular GL is unlikely to adopt a lodge from another regular GL 

An irregular GL will no doubt take you on - but then the regular GL the lodge is part of won't really release the lodge - it's is ultimately their lodge

(I use the terms regular and irregular as they are commonly understood, not as a reflection of my own opinions on the matter)

I am a Master Mason in an American Grand Lodge.

I would say I understand your frustration but regretfully it seems your lodge will be on the losing end.  If you've read a Traditional Observance Lodge by Bro. Cliff Porter it may help you with your problems.  He was ready to hang up his apron.  I'm lucky enough to live in an area that I can drive to three different grand lodges territories and demitted my from the state GL whose jurisdiction I lived to to join another one.  Feel free to PM me if you'd like.