Hi, everyone

I'm going to open up with a problem in the hope you chaps can help me out. First things first, my name is Dave (David when I'm being formal) and I'm interested in becoming a mason.

I knew some guys back in the UK but I moved out to Indonesia some years ago so lost contact with everyone (and I didn't know them all that well anyway). Freemasons were banned here some years ago, legal again now, but the banning saw the movement go undercover, thus making it very hard work to find contacts, but I'm hoping someone will see this post and get me a contact in the hope of eventually meeting a few people.

My preference would be to find a lodge in Jakarta as my office is there but anywhere in the country will do if I'm pushed. 

Hoping someone can help me out.

regards,

Dave.

Hi Dave and welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid that you're going to be on a hiding to nothing with regard to joining Freemasonry in Indonesia, it was banned there in 1965 and I cannot find any reference to its government having reversed the decision to date.

The closest Lodges to you seem to be in: Australia, Malaysia, Singapore or the Philipines.

Thanks for your message, and I have good news for you.

The ban was lifted in 2000 meaning there's a hope, but some more conservative religious groups are troublesome so things are underground. I gather there's a lodge here, perhaps in Jakarta, but they keep their heads down - Can't blame them.

Cheers,

Dave

Before the ban, Indonesian Freemasonry was organised by and under the jurisdiction of the Grand Orient of the Netherlands, and was therefore irregular. If it’s been restarted in the same jurisdiction, then it won’t be regular now either, and indeed Indonesia is not in the list of recognised Grand Lodges on the UGLE web site. So, if you do find a lodge and join, you should be aware that you would be joining an irregular group not recognised by the United Grand Lodge of England and the other regular Grand Lodges around the world. Caveat emptor.

45 minutes ago, D Williams said:

Thanks for your message, and I have good news for you.

The ban was lifted in 2000 meaning there's a hope, but some more conservative religious groups are troublesome so things are underground. I gather there's a lodge here, perhaps in Jakarta, but they keep their heads down - Can't blame them.

Sorry to be a party pooper but do you have an official/government source for the ban being lifted as much is claimed on the Internet which isn't actually true. If true that may be good news but there will be no Grand Lodges rushing to restart Masonic activities in a country where freemasonry has been banned, a good example is to look at the ex-Iron Curtain countries in Eastern Europe where Freemasonry is only just starting to show up again. 

You could try contacting the District Grand Secretary of the Eastern Archipelago here: http://dglea.net/  He will be able to tell you about any regular Freemasonry taking place (or not!) in your locality and the differences between 'regular' and 'irregular' types of freemasonry.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

Sorry to be a party pooper but do you have an official/government source for the ban being lifted as much is claimed on the Internet which isn't actually true. If true that may be good news but there will be no Grand Lodges rushing to restart Masonic activities in a country where freemasonry has been banned, a good example is to look at the ex-Iron Curtain countries in Eastern Europe where Freemasonry is only just starting to show up again. 

https://www.kejaksaan.go.id/upldoc/produkhkm/Keppres_69_2000.pdf

Sorry it's in Indonesian but the gist is that presidential decree revokes the previous banning order.

The long and the short, the balloons and bunting are now legal (but those of us with an interest have to keep a little quiet as the wild side of Islam are very much against everything)

16 hours ago, Trouillogan said:

You could try contacting the District Grand Secretary of the Eastern Archipelago here: http://dglea.net/  He will be able to tell you about any regular Freemasonry taking place (or not!) in your locality and the differences between 'regular' and 'irregular' types of freemasonry.

An excellent idea - will send an email later - boss just called and gave me another job to do - work is work.

2 hours ago, D Williams said:

https://www.kejaksaan.go.id/upldoc/produkhkm/Keppres_69_2000.pdf

Sorry it's in Indonesian but the gist is that presidential decree revokes the previous banning order.

The long and the short, the balloons and bunting are now legal (but those of us with an interest have to keep a little quiet as the wild side of Islam are very much against everything)

That's promising but as I also mentioned due to the previous banning Freemasons will be very hesitant in attempting to reinstate Freemasonry there as it does seem that type of Government is prone to ill-informed knee jerk reactions to things.

I wonder if any of the other alleged "religions" have tried?

The ban was put in place by Indonesia's second dictator, removed by a president elected by his supporters in parliament, but we're in a democracy now - or at least for the moment.

There's a presidential election coming up, the incumbent running against an ex general with his own interests and willing to court more extreme people in his attempt to win the election. If he wins, freemasons will have to stay very well hidden or disappear. As things are at the moment, the government is very pro business and investment - but there are many voices against that push.

After a lot of searching and more than a few email conversations, I've come u with a grand total of nothing.

If there are any masons in Indonesia, they're very well hidden.

Saying that, I'm going to keep hunting on the off chance, perhaps withing the Chinese business community, and see what turns up - that and keep reading up on masonic forums to get more insight into the movement in general.

Thanks for your help and, should anything turn up in future, I'd love to get an email or PM on the subject.

Dave, remember someone (proposer and seconder) has to have known you for at least 2 years before coming a member.

Flights from Jakatar to KL are from £40 return

11 hours ago, lewis said:

Dave, remember someone (proposer and seconder) has to have known you for at least 2 years before coming a member.

Flights from Jakatar to KL are from £40 return

Where? That's definitively not in England. University scheme lodges recruit all members after only 1-2 interviews

Edited by nymaso3
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, nymaso3 said:

Where? That's definitively not in England. University scheme lodges recruit all members after only 1-2 interviews

Outside of the University scheme, you are to vouch that you know the Candidate for a length of time. Are you willing to vouch for him if you have only just met him? I doubt it.

You might click straight away but you still need someone to second him. Hence it can take a couple of years. (Its not a numbers game)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lewis said:

Outside of the University scheme, you are to vouch that you know the Candidate for a length of time. Are you willing to vouch for him if you have only just met him? I doubt it.

You might click straight away but you still need someone to second him. Hence it can take a couple of years. (Its not a numbers game)

Oh yes, I totally agree with you! Although  it's not really the way it works in many lodges I've been. Even at Provincial level, they do a couple of meetings (interviews) and that's it. Unfortunately nowadays many lodges are so desperately looking for new members that they accept anyone.