David612

Finding your lodge

Hello guys, 

im seeking some wise council from you more experienced gents, my question is this;

How much personal responsibility falls on an individual brother to try to enact change in their lodge or is it preferable for that brother to simply affiliate with a lodge more in line with their goals?

I would expect that if both lodges are happy and thriving it would be a non issue  however there is a significant size difference and considering a change leaves me feeling guilty.

looking forward to your opinions. 

Edited by David612

In my view, the cycle of Freemasonry that started in 1717 is close to its end.  A new form is required and quite possibly new brethren.  In my area of Australia most lodges have been declining for decades and the asset strippers have arrived in the GL as is normal for end of life organizations.

Personally I am inclined only to support good lodges.  I cannot see how other lodges can survive for much longer.

12 hours ago, Omar31 said:

In my view, the cycle of Freemasonry that started in 1717 is close to its end.  A new form is required and quite possibly new brethren.  In my area of Australia most lodges have been declining for decades and the asset strippers have arrived in the GL as is normal for end of life organizations.

Personally I am inclined only to support good lodges.  I cannot see how other lodges can survive for much longer.

And in other places new lodges are started to handle the number of men who wants to join.

Sure its declining but it has nothing to do with just freemasonry, most fraternal orders has the same problem.

Fair enough-

to summarise then, you are of the opinion that masons should simply attend the lodge they feel best suits them and leaving your mother lodge is not a big deal?

being a member of both is not something I want to do either.

> leaving your mother lodge is not a big deal?

I am about to resign from my mother lodge for the second time.   The first was 20 years ago when some brethren got together to blackball all 3 excellent candidates that I had proposed.  One of the candidates was told by a neighbor (member of another lodge) several weeks before the ballot that they would all be blackballed.  The lodge would not deal with the issue and I did not return for 15 years.

And now the lodge is determined to initiate an unsuitable candidate even though the DC (me) has declared that he will not sit in lodge with that candidate.

Such is life towards the end of a cycle.

Edited by Omar31

On 10/4/2018 at 11:38 PM, Omar31 said:

Over the years, freemasonry has continually evolved and will continue to do so.  Members come and go, lodges come and go, Grand Lodges come and go.  By all means move to a lodge where you feel comfortable, as only you can know yourself.  There's no point is trying to change others but you are able to change yourself if you feel that might be what you require.  I know that I have changed over my years in freemasonry and I have moved between a few lodges, while I have retained membership of others for several decades.  Be happy and communicate happiness!

• Like 2

On 10/4/2018 at 9:39 PM, David612 said:

How much personal responsibility falls on an individual brother to try to enact change in their lodge or is it preferable for that brother to simply affiliate with a lodge more in line with their goals?

In reality this is quite a complex question that only you can answer and I would guess that it comes down to how much you are personally invested in your Mother Lodge.

I would suggest that if you have been a member for a couple of decades, been through the Chair and are surrounded by lifelong friends then the answer is that you would have loads of personal responsibility as you are a part of the culture and history of your Lodge. However, if this isn't the case and you've only been a member for a relatively short time and maybe feel like an outsider at meetings the opposite would be true. 

On 10/4/2018 at 11:38 PM, Omar31 said:

Sometimes we forget that our "local" experiences of Freemasonry are not actually what millions of Freemasons around the World are experiencing. it is often best not to try and extrapolate them to the whole of Freemasonry. 

• Like 1