Mike Martin

Increase in Unsuitable Candidates

6 minutes ago, Sentience said:

Here, the Honours system has been based on attendance both at meetings and the FB, Offices held after the chair, ritual delivery and charitable activities/additional work for the Province.  Hit all the criteria and you'll get Active rank.  Don't and you will get a Past Rank.  Be really not up to the mark and you'll get nothing.

A lot of Provinces are starting to move in that direction - ours included.

3 minutes ago, Sontaran said:

What smear? - you were the one who said .. and I quote " and certainly not if they can’t even do the most basic of ritual to a high standard. " - I disagreed - that's not a smear!

Be a love, put up the full quote and in context. 

Ok, having re-read, I do apologise and -to an extent, take it back - but I do stand by my observation about supporting someone deserving to 'enable' suitable reward. I do agree with your observation; my view was coloured by the shortened quote.

9 minutes ago, Sontaran said:

Ok, having re-read, I do apologise and -to an extent, take it back - but I do stand by my observation about supporting someone deserving to 'enable' suitable reward. I do agree with your observation; my view was coloured by the shortened quote.

Thank you. 

If getting a “reward” is what motivates someone and it’s what they want, I’ve no problem at all with the lodge supporting that. In return, the bare minimum we can expect any brother to do is give it his all in whatever office he is invested in. Sadly, and far too often, it’s not what happens. 

On a personal level I just find it very disheartening that every single lodge meeting, GP meeting and festive board a large chunk of the discussions revolve around this issue. Even more so when it’s top of the VO and SVO’s agenda. As I say, it is bread and circuses to keep the masses in line. 

Edited by MrSifter

Sentience,

Come to Cambridge for a visit sometime, either Sontaran, David or myself can arrange a Lodge meeting.  We are a good bunch, the Province is small and happy and you'll enjoy it :)

S&F

Jon

• Like 1

And the same invitation applies to you MrSifter - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised; I don't (nor, I suspect, does Jon) hear any such discussions here - and we're both in positions where we would hear of such. I can think of only one lodge in the Province where such talk may occur.

I guess it does help when pretty much every member of the Province knows the PGM (he's also GSupt), Deputies, etc personally as between them they attend all Installations, and quite a few ordinary meetings. We are very much a 'family' Province.

Edited by Sontaran
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Sontaran said:

A lot of Provinces are starting to move in that direction - ours included.

Nevertheless, the system is still open to abuse unless monitored and governed by an independent panel of administrators.  

You took a oath to to make men into masons aren't you forgetting why and what the accents were, well since you have I will remind you Builders. You have been given a great responsibility to a mold rough ashlar into a finely polished stone. 1st degree forgot ? "Quote "  The new entered apprentice is the rough material straight from the quarry. “Rough undressed stone - ignorant, uncultivated man, ready to be squared and prepared for purposeful employment by skilled craftsmen”

Edited by Wm.Michael D.Wright
added text

42 minutes ago, Wm.Michael D.Wright said:

You took a oath to to make men into masons aren't you forgetting why and what the accents were, well since you have I will remind you Builders. You have been given a great responsibility to a mold rough ashlar into a finely polished stone. 1st degree forgot ? "Quote "  The new entered apprentice is the rough material straight from the quarry. “Rough undressed stone - ignorant, uncultivated man, ready to be squared and prepared for purposeful employment by skilled craftsmen”

Hi there and welcome to the Forum, it might be nice if you stick a little intro into the relevant section.

I suppose that it's possible that where you are you do take an oath like that but here in England we do not take an oath to make anyone Masons in fact the closest we get to that is as an Installed Master we promise not to be involved with the making of women Masons.

I'm not sure if you've misinterpreted the talk of "ashlars" as here it is related to ourselves and our efforts to improve ourselves so that we become a credit to ourselves and to Freemasonry. The treatment of the Ashlar in our First Degree lecture seems quite different to yours: "The Rough Ashlar is a stone, rough and unhewn as taken from the quarry, until, by the industry and ingenuity of the workman, it is modeled, wrought into due form, and rendered fit for the intended structure. This represents man in his infant or primitive state rough and unpolished as that stone, until by the kind care and attention of his parent or guardians, in giving him a liberal and virtuous education, his mind becomes cultivated, and he is thereby rendered a fit member of civilised society. The Perfect Ashlar is a stone of a true die or square, fit only to be tried by the Square and Compasses. This represents man in the decline of years, after a regular well-spent life in acts of piety and virtue, which can no otherwise be tried and approved than by the Square of God's Word, and the Compass of his own self-convincing conscience."