Jake Lowell

Hello from West Yorkshire :)

Hi everyone,

my name is Jake and I am currently in the process of meeting with lodges with the hope of becoming an Entered Apprentice in Leeds later on this year. It has been something I have been interested since I found out about it at Uni, but it has taken me a while to get the ball rolling with joining a Lodge. I am currently trying to learn a bit more about Freemasonry (particularly in England as a lot of online resources are US based).

Just thought I’d introduce myself, I am looking forward to being being part of the Fraternity, in the mean time, I hope to learn a lot from these forums.

Thanks

Edited by Jake Lowell

Welcome Jake.  Have you set your sights on any particular lodge?  There are several in and around Leeds.  You can discount much of the American masonic stuff on the Internet as their masonic systems are quite different from ours, as you will later learn.

You may wish to join a lodge that is in the Universities Scheme, as there are some cost benefits particularly if you are under 25.  You will find details of the Scheme here: https://www.universitiesscheme.com/

and there is one in Leeds.

Every best wish and do come back here with any questions you may wish to ask.

Guest Jake Lowell

Thanks! Yes, I have found a few US resources useful for some stuff but some aspects have seemed very different so I have taken things with a pinch of salt. I have also tried to not research too much and ruin any of the experiences for myself.

Im no longer at university, and am also over 25, I only recently came across the mention of university membership, but no worries! 

I will soon be meeting Goderich 1211, as I have been talking mainly to members of that lodge, but I will also be put in touch with a few other lodges who meet at Castle Grove in Leeds. This will not be for another month or so as it is very quiet over summer. I also met with a few members of the Leeds Lodge, but I don’t feel they can give me what I want from Freemasonry 

I am not in a massive rush, especially if it means making the right choice, but everyone I have met so far have been incredibly helpful and I am really excited to get my teeth stuck in!

Seems you're going about this in a sensible way.  Yes, take your time, there is no rush - there's lots to absorb!  If the lodge you join turns out to be not quite what you want, look around, visit some others and then move to one you feel is a better fit.  No two are alike and they change over time too, as will you!

Don't be surprised if, when you ask the same question about freemasonry (what this or that means) to several different members, you will get at least as many different answers!  When that happens, you need to do your own research.  If you get down to Sheffield, there's an excellent and helpful library and museum at Tapton Hall (http://www.freemasonryinsheffield.com/).  Give them a call first, so someone will show you what's what.

Enjoy

Welcome Jake!

Castle Grove is a lovely building, and I have happy memories of visiting there and dining at Bryans fish bar afterwards.

Welcome to this forum too, there are lots of enthusiastic and knowledgeable UK masons here so never be afraid to ask a question or for advice......

I look forwards to hearing of how you progress :)

Jon 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.