Jake Lowell

Masonic clothing/jewellery

Hi all,

One of the things that I have seen on regalia shops and online, is Masonic themed clothing and jewellery such as rings (obviously) but also cuff links (square and compass, but also aprons and gavels), socks, pocket squares, ties, watches etc.

My main question is do people actually wear these? And if so is it a day to day thing or reserved for lodge?

I have also been told I will have to buy my own gloves (which is how I ended up on these sites), and wondered if there was any significance to the square and compass on the gloves, or if this is personal choice when it comes to me buying my own.

TIA

The only 'jewelry' I wear are cufflinks (Provincial Steward), and sometimes a tie clip. EDIT: and only when attending a masonic meeting!!

RE: gloves .. it's personal preference; I got a pair with S&C on (free) when I purchase my latest regalia set, but the rest are plain white.

Edited by Sontaran
  • Thanks 1

Also, don't make the common error of buying things with the S&C containing the letter 'G'.  Irish, Scots, Americans and some others uses that symbol quite legitimately but for an English Freemason it has no meaning.

I would, however, advise waiting a while before getting items of this kind.  About the only thing that a cautious Freemason might wear in public would be the little blue forget-me-not emblem (tip: research its origin).  Rings and so on can be seen as a bit 'showy' and in some settings, particularly business, could easily be misinterpreted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A mason who is helping me to join told me about the “G” not being recognised by English Freemasonry, very interesting!

Its not something I am thinking of immediately, there was just so much on there it seemed like there must be a demand for it. Personally it seems a little ott to wear a Masonic themed tie and ring and cuff links especially daily, I was just wondering if this was commonplace. 

I think a Forget-me-not will be a good first item, I’m not sure if I would be bothered by a ring or cuff links, I guess I can gauge other people use when I attend meetings. I like the idea of a ring (after raising ofc) but not sure I could pull it off, and also would need to be careful at work. I’m not sure if it would be worth it to just wear it during lodge meetings

Thanks all :)

As far as a tie is concerned, I'd just settle for a black tie (can be worn at other 'events' too ...), and buy yourself the tie of your Province .. the proceeds normally go towards your Provincial charities.

17 hours ago, Trouillogan said:

Also, don't make the common error of buying things with the S&C containing the letter 'G'.  Irish, Scots, Americans and some others uses that symbol quite legitimately but for an English Freemason it has no meaning.

I would, however, advise waiting a while before getting items of this kind.  About the only thing that a cautious Freemason might wear in public would be the little blue forget-me-not emblem (tip: research its origin).  Rings and so on can be seen as a bit 'showy' and in some settings, particularly business, could easily be misinterpreted.

15 hours ago, Jake Lowell said:

A mason who is helping me to join told me about the “G” not being recognised by English Freemasonry, very interesting!

Its not something I am thinking of immediately, there was just so much on there it seemed like there must be a demand for it. Personally it seems a little ott to wear a Masonic themed tie and ring and cuff links especially daily, I was just wondering if this was commonplace. 

I think a Forget-me-not will be a good first item, I’m not sure if I would be bothered by a ring or cuff links, I guess I can gauge other people use when I attend meetings. I like the idea of a ring (after raising ofc) but not sure I could pull it off, and also would need to be careful at work. I’m not sure if it would be worth it to just wear it during lodge meetings

Thanks all :)

You might want to revisit the 2nd degree Tracing Board where the G is specifically mentioned.  To say it isn't recognised is incorrect.  UGLE simply doesn't display it within the S&C.

34 minutes ago, Sentience said:

You might want to revisit the 2nd degree Tracing Board where the G is specifically mentioned.  To say it isn't recognised is incorrect.  UGLE simply doesn't display it within the S&C.

To clarify he said a s&C with a G in the middle wasn’t recognised in English freemasonry, I am not aware of the tracing boards meanings yet (I’ve looked at the entered apprentice one but I’ve not really looked until I can fully understand their meaning). Sorry for the ambiguity, thanks for clarifying!

9 minutes ago, Jake Lowell said:

To clarify he said a s&C with a G in the middle wasn’t recognised in English freemasonry, I am not aware of the tracing boards meanings yet (I’ve looked at the entered apprentice one but I’ve not really looked until I can fully understand their meaning). Sorry for the ambiguity, thanks for clarifying!

This will help as it is not actually a secret :) 

I was given a pair of cufflinks including the G for my birthday. I wouldn't have bought them myself, but I'll probably wear them for lodge meetings (when no-one will see them) and when the person who gave them to me is around. The problem, I think, is that unless you know where to look most Masonic jewellery that you find online does include the G.

I agree with Sentience - it's too strong to say that the G is meaningless or not recognised within UGLE.

As far as ties are concerned, note that if you buy a black one it should be plain black with no S&C on it, even in the weave. I have been known to wear my Craft tie (original version) outside lodge meetings, and I believe it was intended for that purpose as well as in all meetings. UGLE will shortly be selling a new tie specifically for non-lodge wear.

16 minutes ago, mindmagic said:

I agree with Sentience - it's too strong to say that the G is meaningless or not recognised within UGLE.

I agree AND disagree as there is more than one "G" (3 at my last count) and no one, other than the GLoI, seems to be clear which one they are putting into the S&C.

To be clear about what I meant, the combination of S&C including the 'G' is not used in UGLE.  The S&C is and so is the 'G' but together they are not.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Mike Martin said:

I agree AND disagree as there is more than one "G" (3 at my last count) and no one, other than the GLoI, seems to be clear which one they are putting into the S&C.

Quite right Mike.  I referred to the 2nd Degree TB for the accompaniment of the knocks at it's mention.

I personally do not currently wear any jewellery but only as i've not found anything i've liked.  I do however see many people with rings cufflinks etc. 

One item i have seen used and i really really want but haven't yet found is worn by a lodge brother and is a silver (with s&C logo) napkin hook. 1 end hooks into the tie knot the other is a small clamp that holds the napkin. at the FB we were all joking about it and subsequently all threw food down our ties :( and the item was immediately added to the wish list.

11 hours ago, Eric Arthur Blair said:

I personally do not currently wear any jewellery but only as i've not found anything i've liked.  I do however see many people with rings cufflinks etc. 

One item i have seen used and i really really want but haven't yet found is worn by a lodge brother and is a silver (with s&C logo) napkin hook. 1 end hooks into the tie knot the other is a small clamp that holds the napkin. at the FB we were all joking about it and subsequently all threw food down our ties :( and the item was immediately added to the wish list.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Masons-Craft-Knapkin-Holder-Freemasons/dp/B01MRG8XBQ

I quite fancy one of these too.

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:45, Jake Lowell said:

The G has been covered but I noticed that I'd missed your other points.

Under the UGLE we have tie called the "Craft tie" which was designed to be worn both at Lodge meetings and also at normal work. It is covered in small S&Cs which when you are about 3 feet or more away become hard to distinguish.

I have always wondered about the logic of buying jewellery that is only worn at masonic meetings as jewellery shows your affiliation to the Craft to others or reminds you yourself of it and it seems to my mind to become very redundant when you're at a meeting that only Freemasons can attend. If rings are dangerous at work you could always plump for a necklace, I have a pendant S&C necklace that I can close or open depending on what I'm up to.

Regarding the forget me not, first you need to understand that it isn't really a masonic emblem and its legendary explanation is beyond deeply flawed but also be prepared to answer questions about the Alzheimers Society as they have been using the fmn for a long time

As to the forget-me-not, there have been many stories about its origin and use, including the ridiculous idea that German Freemasons used it for recognition during the horrific period from 1933 to 1945.  Here is the paper by Alain Bernheim, highly respected Masonic researcher and international concert pianist, who was himself interred under the nazi regime.  It's a lengthy and detailed paper but worth reading to get the truth: http://www.freemasons-freemasonry.com/bernheim3.html