Sign in to follow this  
Cornish Emigrant

Who to Bank with in 2019

I'm not sure if this has been asked previously (can't see it on a search) but in this day and age of disappearing high street bank branches and 'unfriendly' GDPR and money laundering obsessed banking staff what is the consensus on where to hold Lodge bank accounts nowadays. I ask as Treasurer of 2 Craft, 1 Mark and 1 (elect) Chapter Lodge. The latter currently banks with HSBC and the current Treasurer is handing over primarily because of their failure to treat him as a valued customer.  

My mother lodge is with Nationwide, HSBS and Lloyds. Nationwide no longer offer 'community' accounts. 

My 2nd Craft and Mark lodges are with Nat West and I find them very helpful.

Changing banks is always a nightmare. Our current Treasurer recently changed our lodge accounts to Metro Bank, which conveniently has its head office branch near Freemasons' Hall. It seems to be OK now but he had to go through a lot of hoops and hassles.

Bank staff can go to prison if they don't follow AML [money laundering] processes - hardly surprising they're 'obsessed' about getting it right

• Like 1

HSBC are a real pain and seem to have forgotten customer service. Barclays do Community Accounts - recommended in the Sunday Times today as it happens. All banks have to go through the same procedures though sometimes they can be awkward - for one where I am a signatory we have been told we need to get a death certificate before a former signatory can be removed!

• Like 1

Thank you for the answers - particularly @Lew_Finns. This mirrors my experience with HSBC - they seem to go that extra mile when it comes to being beyond difficult. Most infuriating is their inability to acknowledge or respond so it ends up with the customer having to ask again. I simply want to be added first as a signatory then be annotated as Primary user for my Chapter but as the Secretary etc have strange titles it seems to throw them completely.