3GP441

What if.......

On 05/07/2020 at 04:48, Trouillogan said:

Points?  This is not a game.

But it's better than having the Lodge Secretary submit/approve his mates for promotion

• Thanks 1

On 01/07/2020 at 18:51, Sentience said:

Depends which District/Province you're in.  An extract from a PDF on the web;

The Honours will be grouped into four categories,

•   Acting Ranks,

•   Past Ranks, (First Appointments),

•   Promotions and

•   Mid year Promotions.

Each Assistant should nominate Brethren for Acting Rank according to his allocation as identified in the Provincial schedule. Additional requests may be made but will not necessarily be accepted. This will be at the discretion of the Honours Panel and subject to the approval of the Provincial Grand Master.

No Brother will be appointed to Acting Rank, [with the exception of Provincial Grand Steward], unless he is a member of the Royal Arch.

The rank of Provincial Grand Steward is considered special and is for those Brethren who are 60 years of age or under and who show particular promise. A Brother appointed to this office will be encouraged to join the Royal Arch prior to any subsequent promotion.

•  

I see the mention of Acting Ranks - should that, perhaps read Active?

6 hours ago, lewis said:

But it's better than having the Lodge Secretary submit/approve his mates for promotion

In this province, the secretary alone fills in the returns for appointments and promotions but these are almost all factual: time since lodge mastership, record of rituals performed, outside community involvements and the like.  Opinions seldom enter into the equation.  Some other provinces work on the basis of lodge committee recommendations and that I feel is much more vulnerable to pejorative opinion.  For what it's worth, I'm personally not in favour of the UGLE so called 'honours' system, because it is complex, has the potential for divisiveness and is to a great extent meaningless.

14 hours ago, Cornish Emigrant said:

I see the mention of Acting Ranks - should that, perhaps read Active?

The joys of Apple computers deciding they know what you meant to type and changing what you actually typed. 😡

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Midlander said:

Troulligan - thanks for answering my questions, sounds like a can of worms to be sure!

I must apologise for a typo in my response.  The first appointment is 'LGR' (London Grand Rank), not Metropolitan.

On 06/07/2020 at 20:17, Trouillogan said:

In this province, the secretary alone fills in the returns for appointments and promotions but these are almost all factual: time since lodge mastership, record of rituals performed, outside community involvements and the like.  Opinions seldom enter into the equation.  Some other provinces work on the basis of lodge committee recommendations and that I feel is much more vulnerable to pejorative opinion.  For what it's worth, I'm personally not in favour of the UGLE so called 'honours' system, because it is complex, has the potential for divisiveness and is to a great extent meaningless.

To avoid issues with GDPR opinions should NOT enter into the equation at all.  Everything should be fact based.  I would go further and suggest the 'honours' system is totally devisive - but that's just my opinion. 😁