TCockill

Hello from Hull,East Yorkshire... I'm new.

Greetings you guys,

I have just spoke to someone at the local lodge about possibly becoming an EA Freemason. I love the idea of bettering myself and becoming a proper "gentleman".

For now I am just researching and the person who I have spoken to said he is going to speak to his people about me.

I hope to become a brother in the near future.

Respect.

Thomas

Edited by TCockill

Hitting the happy medium is the trick! My grandfathers and an uncle were in the craft but both my father and brother shunned it. As my uncle was a great favourite with me I'd often pondered exploring it more sadly he passed away from cancer at the young age of 62. After a career in the RAF I was chatting about it with a good friend and explaining I'd always been disappointed not to have received a tap on the shoulder and invite to join he enlightened me that I had the wrong idea and it was a case of asking! Within about 18 months I was initiated and I'm delighted to report that I had not explored any of the ceremonies so it was all a great unfolding mystery to me. 

Post the Chair of King Solomon I then started to explore the side degrees. Starting with Mark, next RAM and finally Chapter. I'm glad I did it that way as looking at the bigger picture the whole falls together much better that way. It irritates the life out of me that to a certain extent some in the Craft seem to view Mark as not worthy of them. Indeed, I believe that in Scotland you can't join Chapter until you have ventured into Mark. The latter to my view being a wonderful ceremony but apart from that seems to little by way of fundraising. Mark, on the other hand raises quite huge money for many very worthy causes and the Brethren have great fun in doing so. 

Thanks for the replies. I have looked into Freemasonry for quite a long time now and I love the brotherhood side of things and the belonging to a worthy cause. I have questions regarding the Charity work, do different degrees open you up to contributing to different charitys? Or do Masons contribute to the same charitys no matter what degrees attained? I have a lot of other questions in my mind but I dont think knowing too much will benefit me as it seems like a lot of Freemasonry the fun is in the learning and unfolding. I am of course versed in Christian theology and the story of Solomons temple and own a few books on Freemasonry. As above I do not wish to learn too much as I want the mystery to unfold before me and I wish to do the side degrees if I make it that far in the most interesting way possible. To think that I will be taking part in some of the same things that people have been partaking in for centuries is very cool. And I've always wanted to be the best man I can be and I think from what I have read Masonry will help me become even better as I will be surrounded by support and knowledge. I dislike the American all in a day ceremonies were you can attain mutliple degrees in one day by watching a ceremony and not taking part just one person taking it and acting it out for a group initiation this seems to take all the fun out of it. I am in no rush and wish to take things at a pace were I can enjoy every part for what it is, I will hold it sacred and it will be life changing from what I have read. But of course in the scheme of all things Mason I am naive so forgive me if I sound in any way out of touch, I am just keen to learn and grow and to do good with like minded people and people who may be quite different *in a good way!

Regards

Hi again,

The thing about Freemasonry is that each of us are free to focus on different elements of what it introduces to us. In my view "charity" is an unavoidable byproduct of the imperatives that Freemasonry presents us with but definitely not the purpose of Freemasonry which is of course a fellowship which stretches across not just the centuries but also boundaries that don't seem to be avoidable in normal life. 

Sadly some of us "old lags" start pointing new brothers toward the "extras" before their feet are even under the table which is all a bit unnecessary. The different degrees that have been mentioned are, in essence (and fact) separate organisations that you can join once you are a Master Mason so yes their charitable  focus is different from what you will come across in Lodge and if you choose to join them you will look to their charitable activities as well, however, it should be pointed out that you have no need to join them to be a Freemason. However other than your annual donation to the national Charity your other charitable activities are yours to decide.

As to theology you will find very little of it in Freemasonry, KST is the "setting" of our Degrees as the place where the tale of the builder unfolds but no more than that. Some side degrees have a Christian flavour whereas others are more Old Testament but I would say don't worry about that until you are actually a Freemason and then eligible to join them.

On 23/11/2019 at 15:51, TCockill said:

*deleted i found my answer

I saw the original question and it is one of the reasons that we don’t usually recommend “researching” Freemasonry on the Internet.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.