CleverAlterEgo

Can untrue gossip keep you out of OES?

Hi there!

I am - or thought I was - in the process of applying for Order of the Eastern Star and haven't heard back in a couple weeks. I am wondering if I should be concerned or take a hint.

I feel strongly about my desire to join, but I will hold the reasons for my interview, if there is one. 

My worry here: I disclosed to the people who met me the first time, that a few years ago I was badly injured in a car accident (& that the other driver was charged in court) and that I saw a trauma therapist. To note, I do have visible "physical limitations" (not in a wheelchair or anything) and scarring - it's obvious that something happened.

I did not discuss that I have other resulting invisible disabilities (not interesting or relevant) and that shortly after my accident, there was a lot of malicious and untrue gossip about me. I was new in town, the other driver's family have tons of friends and really went out of their way to malign me/help their relative save face. If you believed what they said (people knew them and didn't know me) you'd want nothing to do with me. Unfortunately, a couple of the untrue rumors were so egregious that my attorney had to step in. But, this was 2 - 3 years ago.

The truth came out and many people have warmed up toward our family; and we've formed some very treasured friendships. But I still hear hateful comments now and then, and a handful of folks make it a point to snub me when our paths cross.  None of these folks are in OES though. 

I didn't  mention any of the drama because - it seemed irrelevant and I'd rather just move on. If you google my common-ish name though; I've been featured in a couple reputable platforms about living with and advocating for yourself with physical differences.

If they were to have heard these rumors - would they ask me for my side of the story or just disregard me? For the record, I have solid documentation disproving every single nasty rumor.

Given your reference to OES, I suspect you may be in the US(?) - in which case, you need to be aware that this forum is based in the UK and therefore it's not something we can advise you about.

For info: whilst I can't comment on Scotland or Ireland, membership of the OES in England or Wales is incompatible with membership of UGLE.

Edited by Sontaran

2 hours ago, Sontaran said:

Given your reference to OES, I suspect you may be in the US(?) - in which case, you need to be aware that this forum is based in the UK and therefore it's not something we can advise you about.

For info: whilst I can't comment on Scotland or Ireland, membership of the OES in England or Wales is incompatible with membership of UGLE.

Same is true of Ireland but there are OES Chapters in Scotland.

However, you're right the poster is actually in the US.