Sign in to follow this  
Engineer

Databases.

Good evening,

Is there anyone here who is very familiar with MS Access please ? I keep a record of my masonic activities in a spreadsheet which currently runs to about 5-600 rows. I want to replace this with a database which has a common data entry form and then have the ability to run reports; either pre defined or ad-hoc. I seem to have created a db with various tables for lodges, ranks etc but I am having the Devil's own job of exporting data from the spreadsheet into the db. It would be useful to be able to talk this through with someone knowledgeable. All, of the data is text, no graphics nor video.

To be clear, this isn't a commercial project, it is for my own use.

Thanks in advance,

Eng.

You need to be very careful if you are the creator of a database that contains the details of others, especially without their knowledge, irrespective of whether it is for personal or commercial use.  I recommend some serious reading of the law around GDPR if you're UK based.  

11 minutes ago, Sentience said:

You need to be very careful if you are the creator of a database that contains the details of others, especially without their knowledge, irrespective of whether it is for personal or commercial use.  I recommend some serious reading of the law around GDPR if you're UK based.  

As I said this is a record of MY activities but thank you for your concern.

On 06/11/2021 at 17:44, Engineer said:

Good evening,

Is there anyone here who is very familiar with MS Access please ? I keep a record of my masonic activities in a spreadsheet which currently runs to about 5-600 rows. I want to replace this with a database which has a common data entry form and then have the ability to run reports; either pre defined or ad-hoc. I seem to have created a db with various tables for lodges, ranks etc but I am having the Devil's own job of exporting data from the spreadsheet into the db. It would be useful to be able to talk this through with someone knowledgeable. All, of the data is text, no graphics nor video.

To be clear, this isn't a commercial project, it is for my own use.

Thanks in advance,

Eng.

Okay, but the bit in red is a little confusing.  

On 10/11/2021 at 14:26, Sentience said:

Okay, but the bit in red is a little confusing.  

I read that as being the various lodges/chapters/preceptories/tabernacles/etc he belonged to -

16 hours ago, Sontaran said:

I read that as being the various lodges/chapters/preceptories/tabernacles/etc he belonged to -

I read it as the details of the various ranks and offices within those Lodges.  Call it my wary retired plod brain.

• Like 1

On 13/11/2021 at 13:09, Sentience said:

I read it as the details of the various ranks and offices within those Lodges.  Call it my wary retired plod brain.

Both. The current spreadsheet and proposed db are a record of activities. Still confused as to how the font changed colour.

Anyhow, no offers of help, public or otherwise, so I will need to plough through it and see if I can identify the problem with importing the csv version of the spreadsheet into the db or just manually enter the back records. Hey ho.

Eng.

18 hours ago, Engineer said:

BStill confused as to how the font changed colour.

I doubt it did - it's easy enough to change font/colour when replying to a post (as I've done .. using 'bold' and the colour picker)

What's actually the problem? (retired s/w eng here...) PM if necessary

Edited by Sontaran

2 hours ago, Sontaran said:

I doubt it did - it's easy enough to change font/colour when replying to a post (as I've done .. using 'bold' and the colour picker)

What's actually the problem? (retired s/w eng here...) PM if necessary

Thanks.

To save boring you with a lot of detail at this point how are you with MS Access please ? I know a lot of "pros" consider it the work of the Devil and avoid it like plague.

Regards,

Eng.

On 15/11/2021 at 15:42, Engineer said:

Thanks.

To save boring you with a lot of detail at this point how are you with MS Access please ? I know a lot of "pros" consider it the work of the Devil and avoid it like plague.

Regards,

Eng.

Don't use Base (LO) unless you are really sure what you're doing. Access is ok for what you want IMO. And as far as the 'pro' side of things are concerned, my particular expertise is on embedded software (eg GPS), military or aviation (although it's all 12 years out of date now). What's the problem you're having? - I can't guarantee I know the answer, but unless you ask the question ...

I have approx 500 rows of csv data to import into a db which mainly consists of tables e.g. a table for the various units, a table for offices, a table for rank etc. I attempt to import the csv data using the Access external data import wizard and get a total failure to import.

I can PM you and then send a sample of the csv and the db files.

Regards,

Eng.

19 hours ago, Engineer said:

I have approx 500 rows of csv data to import into a db which mainly consists of tables e.g. a table for the various units, a table for offices, a table for rank etc. I attempt to import the csv data using the Access external data import wizard and get a total failure to import.

Regards,

Eng.

By all means do so. What version of Office? - last version I have is 2007, but you should be able to save in that format and then 'update' it if I manage to fix whatever is wrong.

Edited by Sontaran

On 18/11/2021 at 19:32, Engineer said:

Regards,

Eng.

Do you still need this? (nothing received ...)