Sign in to follow this  
Sentience

Festive Boards

Rate this topic

I can't find any mention of it in any books, but does a private Lodge have to have a festive board or, are they free to move on to a hostelry of their choosing. I can't see any reason why halls are insisting on Lodges dining if they meet at the halls.  

There's no requirement to have an FB at all. I know at least one Craft lodge meeting at Freemasons' Hall that doesn't, and in any case lodges that meet there can dine anywhere that they can find (increasingly difficult in London). I imagine it's purely so that the halls in question can get as much money as possible out of the lodge.

Edited by mindmagic

I know of several small lodges who dine outside of their hall, as to whether they are permitted to as to their lack of economy of scale, I’m not sure…….I’d have thought as long as they pay their hall per capita, like other lodges do, there shouldn’t be a problem, if there is what would it be. 

‘Every meal and beverage purchased elsewhere is a loss to the future prosperity of Freemasons’ Hall.’

The above statement is extensively displayed throughout my local hall. In the washrooms, in the lift, on promotional material etc. But, yet some lodges / brethren take their custom to non-masonic premises.

I would support any lodge which desires to use a hostelry of their choosing to also take their warrant with them. I do accept that often there maybe better value and wider selection of both beverages and menu than what is offered within halls. But you are in a masonic hall for a masonic meeting. The cohesion of gathering at a single venue contributes to ease of members particularly those less able or more aged.

If one cannot positively support the Hall what merit is achieved by the boycotting other than expediting the demise of the hall and closure of services.

I wholly support any Lodge to lift their warrant from Masonic halls and relocate to non masonic premises. It is the members decision. If they not happy, they vote with their feet and relocate.  But i wonder what the feeling and ambience would be like having meeting in non masonic room. Also, how many lodges would be fully self sufficient with pillars, lights, altar etc.  

Whilst the management of halls would realise that the Lodges custom in bar and meals should not to be taken as granted. But is it really that poor and costly situation when a masonic gathering is neither a dining club nor a 'social club'

Provincial and GL officers will be unhappy that halls are closing as the Order has no strategy upon these matters.    

Personally, i could live with only attending for the purpose of a meeting. However whenever attending a meeting and the  option of food and beverage is being offered i partake. But i would never attend a meeting and leave a hall to go elsewhere for FB. It is discourteous to hall staff to pander to a lodges meeting requirements and then take custom elsewhere.

Nor is it particularly convenient for elderly members to arrive at a hall for a meeting, and then expect  their attendance at another venue for FB.

My local hall caterer supplements his business with bookings from out side the Order. This is bizarre as Lodges in the hall gripe with what is offered.