Sign in to follow this  
Rick C

Freemasonry in other countries (outside UK)

Apologies to those not in the UK, esp our american and antipodean brothers for the thread title.

Anyhow...

My work takes me to all sorts of weird and wonderful places but recently I have found myself in Belgium and Poland a lot. I have secured an invite (and permission from GL to attend) a lodge in Belgium when they go into light again but Poland is proving to be a bit trickier...

Also looming on the horizon are Brazil, USA - Chicago area, and possibly hong kong.

For me this gives a great opportunity to see how masonry operates outside of the UK and whilst there will certainly be some language issues (my Polish is dire). to me this is more of a challenge than a problem :)

I was wondering what other peoples experiences were of visiting places far afield and how you found a lodge to visit (google springs to mind but there will probably be other routes)?

Also of interest to me would be your experiences of lodges in other countries and any advice you could give.

Rick C (12/07/2012)

Also looming on the horizon are Brazil, USA - Chicago area, and possibly hong kong.

For me this gives a great opportunity to see how masonry operates outside of the UK and whilst there will certainly be some language issues (my Polish is dire). to me this is more of a challenge than a problem :)

You will feel right at home in Shii Town (Chicago). Chicago has a large Polish population, you will fine some good Polish food there. :D Enjoy.

Rick C (12/07/2012)

I was wondering what other peoples experiences were of visiting places far afield and how you found a lodge to visit (google springs to mind but there will probably be other routes)?

When I visited the US, my starting point was google (for Oklahoma). This gave me a list of lodges (via their GL site) and meeting dates. I then contacted the ProvGSec (this was before I became the Assistant) provided him with the details and said that according to the UGLE website the GL was recognised and could he check.

Once I was given the go ahead, I'll admit I slightly broke protocol by making initial email contact with the GL/lodge before leaving the UK as I'd only got a week in the US and I wanted to check that the meeting was still on (it was the day after I arrived which would not have left a lot of time if I'd waited until I arrived in the US). I said I'd phone when I arrived for the formal contact; they seemed quite happy with that. As a result of it all, I ended up getting picked up from my hotel and being taken to the meeting. The brother who collected me appointed himself my guide for the week I was there and he arranged for me to visit two other lodges during the week so I got to see 2 different ceremonies, coupled with a visit to the Guthrie SR temple.

When I moved from Malta to Germany (a long time ago now!) my Lodge went through Province to UGLE who allowed me to write to the Grand Secretary of the UGLG, who in turn put me in touch with GL/BFG. As it happened, the Station Staff Officer at Dortmund (in charge of things like accommodation for we civilians) was a very senior member of GL/BFG, as I discovered in due course, so I had another point of contact. Unfortunately there was (and still is) no GL/BFG Lodge in Dortmund, so it meant travelling to Munster or Soest. Happy memories!

"Is the Brazilian Rite part of the Grand Orient of Brazil? (that is of the A.A.S.R. 33rd Degree) and recognised by the UGLE."

Yes, it is. The Brazilian Rite is one of the official rites of Grand Orient of Brazil (GOB).

GOB is recognizes by UGLE.

Regards
Joselito.

I have secured an invite (and permission from GL to attend) a lodge in Belgium

Do note that by and far the largest part of Belgian FM is irregular. You might want to make sure that the logde you're in contact with belongs to the Regular Grand Lodge of Belgium

The rest will probably welcome you too though.

There is a Mark Inspectorate of Romania, newly instigated in a October of 2019. Many of its members are also currently members of the Mark Internet Lodge 1975, Mark Province of Monmouthshire. There is a tremendous interplay and exchange between Monmouthshire and Romania with many great friendships and frequent visiting.. there is to be a consecration of a new Romanian Mark Lodge in Bucharest in January.