Sign in to follow this  
Danny

Why Was Freemasonary Started

I have been on the forum a few times I'm not a mason (at the moment) but on my last topic i was asked why not ask questions about freemasonry that may help me Instead of asking opinions.

I do have a few questions about freemasonry as i am very curious on this subject, trying to put them in order for them to make sense to myself in a logical/follow on way has been quite confusing as i have read many different articles and sites on the web.

So i thought i would start from scratch, hence the title, Why Was Freemasonry Started.

Good first question Danny, unfortunately nobody knows for sure. There are a lot of theories, decended from the guilds of middle ages, decended from the ancient builders of the temples of king solomon or even further back with the building of the pyramids but nobody really knows for sure.

All we really do know is that the stories we teach are based on some of the above and helps to make good men better by getting them to look within themselves for improvement.

Defo a good question, in fact one that many Masons have spent their entire Masonic career pondering and as bod says it comes along with the other unanswerable connundrum about Freemasonry.

The fact is that no one around today really knows the exact verifiable answer and as Alan highlights many theories have come about over the last couple of centuries.

Having said that the majority of serious Masonic historians (over the last century or so) tend to lean toward the theory that Freemasonry came about as a kind of reaction to the drastic reduction in the Stone Masons trade. It looks as if in response to the need to keep their benevolent funds running, the operative Lodges started to accept the "Gentry" in order to keep funds from running out. Gradually over the course of the 17th Century these Lodges accepted more non-Operative Masons and their nature (except for the benevolence) began to change toward the speculative that we have today.

This is one of those questions that a lot of people ask, to which there is no definitive answer. It's what makes Freemasonry so interesting (well for me, anyway) and the research in to the answer can and does last a lifetime. Just ask any Masonic Scholar.

Keep on asking questions like this and when you join, you will have some fascinating conversations around the Festive Board!

Good luck,

Tony.

Traditionally Masonry refers to "time immemorial". This seems to suggest that Masonry predates any current accounts (memories).

While Masonry often quotes Moses as setting up the first lodge (in the desert wanderings), Moses was learned in all the Egyptian wisdom.

And of course the Egyptian civilisation emerged fully formed in such a short period of time that I wonder whence it came. Thus I wonder if Moses was taught knowledge from a previous but no longer recorded civilisation. Thus we get to time immemorial.

A similar line can be argued about apparent Sumerian residues in some of the "higher" degrees