Sontaran

Problems down under ...

Lewis (28/08/2013)
I do not have a Facebook account, so I can read what it is all about !!

Briefly: An Assistant Grand Master named Walid Mehanna has been suspended (assumedly ftrom the Craft) since 22nd August 2013 by the Grand Lodge of NSW & ACT's Grand Registrar's Committee. It is stated that he was not given an opportunity to hear the complaint or defend himself and so a lot of Freemasons are not happy, to the point where some high profile Masons have resigned.

It is not clear what the accusations were or who made them.

Here's the AGM's post on the subject;

Elsewhere he states that the brother in question has since said he was forced to write the letter and for which he has been suspended .. something the AGM disputes.

My Brothers,

I was shocked to hear that a decision has been handed down by the Grand Registrar’ Committee and the Executive Council has endorsed a recommendation in respect to penalty (Re, My suspension from our Freemasonry).
From any Law point of view it is a complete denial of natural justice to proceed to penalty without giving the brother the opportunity of presenting character evidence and making submissions. I am also entitled to full reasons for their decision so that I can give proper consideration to any grounds of appeal- which wasn't fulfilled-
My Brothers I am hurt and devastated with this in my view is nothing but malicious. I will appeal and I need your Support as I am about to draft a petition to GM seeking proper and fair justice and I urge for Your Gracious Support.

FYI, Petition will be uploaded soon and I thank you in advance.

Fraternally,

RW Bro Wally Mehanna
Assistant Grand Master

PS, My case is about an agitated and panicked Brother who came to my work place and in the presence of my wife has informed us about his encounter with a Senior Bother , after listening to his issue my advice to him was to take this matter in writing ( to avoid he say- she say)to the Worshipful Master of the Lodge, the brother was reluctant to make a written report or statement simply because he fears the Senior Brother, my reply to him was my brother do what makes you comfortable but it is important for the WM to know about this kind behavior.
This Brother was suffering from what we call it "The Grinch Factor".
I directed him to the right place his WM.
Where is my wrong doing ????
Where is my benefit from all of this???

It seems they're making progress - this from the AGM under discussion ...

Dear Brother,
As Freemasons we are bound by peculiar ties; to promote peace, cultivate harmony, live in concord and most importantly put into practice brotherly love, relief and truth.

I believe that we had a wonderful opportunity, during last nights Grand Communication, to live out those teachings.

I thank our Grand Master for affording me and my representative the opportunity, and I also thank our brothers who were present on that occasion and for exercising their right as Masons. I would also like to thank the many, many calls and emails of support from Brethren who could not make it last night.

Everyone will have the chance to learn more about the Facts and see all the Evidence that would remove any doubt, and the time has come for us to cement our sense of Brotherhood and to move forward.

I ask all our Brothers to attend this December Grand Communication to witness the proceedings and vote according to your conscious.

Fraternally

RW Bro Wally Mehanna
Assistant Grand Master
And a post by a brother attending the meeting ...
Last night was indeed a wonderful night for Freemasonry where we saw Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth shine brightly. Credit must be given to the Grand Master in the manner in which he managed the whole affair and allowed the process to unfold in relation to the motions that were 'put' before the Grand Lodge.

Both sides spoke for and against the motions with one very senior Brother also stating that we don't want to be governed and told what to do by the GRC as they are not voted in, rather only appointed.

The only embarrassing part of the evening was when a Brother (who obviously did not understand the correct protocol) stood 'OUT OF ORDER' several times to address a different issue in the claim and NOT the motion on the floor, unfortunately he was booed and had to sit back down.

Effectively the vote was 48% in favour and 52% not. The motion lost with the absolute narrowest of margins and now will be dealt with at the December Communication, where we will have an opportunity to hear the evidence and decide the fate of our Brother.

Many words were spoken last night, however those most potent to our hearts were to the effect, "This is Freemasonry, this is NOT a French Inquisition (guilty until proven innocent) and as Masons we need to look within our hearts. Even our own legal system has more flexibility dealing with hardened criminals".

If Freemasonry is to survive through the years then we as Brothers must ensure that our processes are NO less and in particular NO more than our own judicial system by which we all live. Come December Freemasonry will need your vote, not for a Brother but for its survival.

Without knowing all the ins and outs of this case, which are only known to the Brother who sought the help of the RW Bro. Wally, it is difficult to comment with any sort of authority on this case. However, the issue I am concerned about is the closeness of the vote. 48% to 52%? This indicates to me a real split in the Brotherhood of the Brethren. How could ANYTHING divide Freemasons so much?

Tony.

Hi Tony,

I have a friend in a NSW lodge (can anyone remember if Keith is in Kiwi or Oz? I know he hasn't been online here for a while) who has given me some insight into what was occuring, however due to the very sensitive nature and it not being a resolved issue, I do not want to post too much, however, some say all is not quite what it seems with the apparently helpful Asst. GM. Though even this friend says that the whole story may never be known!

wolfy (15/09/2013)
Hi Tony,

... can anyone remember if Keith is in Kiwi or Oz?

Ouch! Keith is in Taupo, North Island, NZ; definitely not West Island (aka Oz).

Lewis (28/08/2013)

Blimey Lewis, I think it's only thee and me who don't do Facebook!

Tony.

Sparker (18/09/2013)
Lewis (28/08/2013)

Blimey Lewis, I think it's only thee and me who don't do Facebook!

Tony.
He He. Neither do I but I'm quite enjoying Twitter!

Gee this is old isn't it? I haven't been on this forum for some time now, sorry guys! I have no idea what this was about, it wasn't our business.

Just to bring you up to date, I am still in Taupo, still secretary of Kaimanawa 426. We are in the middle of getting a new Lodge room. we had to sell the old building, it would have cost way too much to bring it up to standard. We have a 35 metre by 7 metre building transprted down from Auckland a few months ago, it is now back on piles, weathertight and we are getting the interior  'sorted' We hope to be able to move in about March/April 2019. At present we are meeting in a community hall in Acacia Bay which is a suburb a few km along the lake from Taupo township. With Christmas and the summer holidays coming up, nothing much will get done from say mid December to mid January!