Sign in to follow this  
BlackEagle

Greetings from Germany

Heartfelt greetings to you all. I am here just to have a look around and maybe as a few questions. I am interested in some of the differences between Masonry in Europe and Masonry in the US. I am not yet a brother but my date is already scheduled.

I look forward to interacting with you all.

Warm Regards,
BlackEagle

Welcome to the forum.

This forum is based in the UK with most of it's members being Freemasons from the UK. I am among a few from the states.

So with that out of the way, go ahead and ask your questions, I'm sure we could help you out.

Hello all. Thank you for the nice welcome and the clarification. I did have a look around before registering but I guess I didn't look closely enough as I had no clue this was a UK based forum :)

My main question at the moment is regarding the time between degrees. As I have read on various forums, the typical time that must pass (in the US) before passing from 1st to 2nd, and then again to 3rd degree, is 28 days. I have been visiting my local lodge as a guest for close to a year and I am only now a few weeks away from becoming a brother. I have no issue with that at all. On the contrary I am happy to see that there is no rush on anyone's part. At the ledge that I am visiting, once a brother is accepted I believe that it is not unusual for 6 months to a year to pass before moving on to the next degree. Again, I find that this somehow lends more seriousness to the organization, as opposed to what I have seen on some forums where brothers have gone from no affiliation to a Master Mason within 3 months.

I realize that this is nothing more than my opinion, however the question is eating at me...how can anyone really be a Master of anything in just 3 months? (I think in some cases I even read of some members reaching Master Mason in even less time than that.)

I hope that my questions do not offend anyone. If they do, please know that that is not my intent at all. On the contrary I am very pleased with my experiences so far and I am very much looking forward to becoming a brother.

Warm Regards,
BlackEagle

BlackEagle, I firmly believe that you are absolutely correct but I would add that it should be up to the candidate himself to say when he feels ready in himself to take each step forward. And then only when he has understood what he has so far undertaken. A full-ish understanding is likely only to come over a lifetime of membership but don't let that put you off! To the contrary, in that you will see that there is much to discover about the the Craft and about yourself.

Take your time and enjoy!

Trouillogan, you make a very good point that I had no considered: The possibility for a brother to simply decide he is not yet ready to move to the next degree. I have also read before that understanding comes over time and that is one of the reasons given for it not being such a big deal that degrees can be accomplished in such a short time. Regardless of that, however, it is good to know that one can always choose if they prefer to go slower.

Have a nice evening!

Warm Regards,

Whereabouts in Germany are you - and which Lodge are you going into? Given that there are 5 Grand Lodges under the United Grand Lodges of Germany, there are 5 different approaches to progress!

Hello Lew.

I am in Berlin and will be joining the Grand National Mother Lodge „Zu den drei Weltkugeln“.

I am not sure how the other 4 lodges handle it, but if they were to also allow for attaining Master Mason within 3 months, then my question would be the same. In either case, I believe Trouillogan said it best.

I just wondered how Mason's themselves viewed it and if there was a good reason for following that practice.

Warm Regards,

Hi There can I just remind you that this part of the forum is to introduce yourself and if you change an introduction into a question it will not get looked at by all the possible contributors here. This klind of question should be asked in the "General" area of the Forum.

I would also suggest a browse of this recent topic may give you an insight on the subject: http://forum.thefreemason.com/Topic51426.aspx

If my memory is correct, that is the smallest of the 3 German Grand Lodges but possibly the one with the most interesting history - but it's a long time since I was in Germany so my memory might not quite be right!

Hello, BlackEagle, and welcome to the forum.

There is indeed no set time for progression in the Degrees and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

For example, my Craft Mother Lodge is an English speaking Lodge under the Grand Lodge of Luxembourg.
Our Grand Lodge has specified a minimum of 15 months between degrees to ensure a proper understanding of each.
It feels like a long time to wait, but is certainly worth it when you get there in my humble opinion.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your journey!

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I will move my next topic away from the Welcom Forum now, as it has been pointed out that this is not the correct place for further discussion on this particular topic :)